mbeattie

NJ Transportation provision

In this article

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/05/senate_to_vote_on_10_more_gun.html

Many of the bills are opposed by gun rights groups, who are also upset that a measure to ease up on firearms transport laws was left off the agenda. A bill was approved by the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee earlier this month that would allow gun owners transporting firearms to and from a firing range to make stops to pick up or drop off passengers, buy gas, food, medicine, use the bathroom, or in the case of an emergency. But it is not up for a vote tomorrow.

I thought it was already legal to stop for gas/food/similar.

2C:39-6
g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

So, does that mean under current law it is illegal to stop and get a sandwich on the way to a hunting area with a shotgun in the trunk?  I could have sworn that I read this was OK in other threads...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36089-question-about-nj-transportation-law-in-practice/

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35608-anything-wrong-with-driving-around-with-an-unloaded-long-gun-in-the-trunk/?&hl=trunk&fromsearch=1

...and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

This is what it will clarify I believe. An LEO can interpret this in any way... And they have...

...and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

This is what it will clarify I believe. An LEO can interpret this in any way... And they have...

So if some LEO wants he can say stopping to get lunch or something to drink at a Wawa was unreasonable and lock you up/have a judge decide if it was reasonable or not? What exactly this Republic considers to be resonable remains open to interpretation and selective enforcement, that's scary!!!

S2721 was supposed to fix this. That's Van Drew's bill. It was dropped though.

The moms demand action and other assorted antis claimed that it would mean people would be carrying their guns all over the place, "even when going to buy a gun in Pennsylvania." :facepalm:

I am not sure why everyone is always so surprised... having lived in NJ I always noticed the strong anti gun mindset....

anyway.... the idea is the NJ government does not like guns... they believe that having guns at large in the public creates a situation that negatively impacts public safety (which is obviously wrong and has been proven wrong time and time again..)... the idea of provisions for limiting travel with guns in the car is solely to limit the amount of time your guns are not locked away in your home...

the NJ government probably wants you to use common sense..  go to range.. go home.. put your guns away.... and in the course of that travel stopping only where it is necessary... your driving home and NEED to go to the bathroom... you are driving home and you NEED to get gas.. sure... those are likely reasonable stops... 

the notion that stopping to sit down and get lunch is a necessary deviation is not one I would rest my freedom on.. and I say that because I feel that the intention of the law is to having me go to and from as directly as possible... the reason that it is likely even part of the guidelines is to avoid that guy who is going to drive around for days claiming he is on his way to or from the range.. 

I am not sure why everyone is always so surprised... having lived in NJ I always noticed the strong anti gun mindset....

anyway.... the idea is the NJ government does not like guns... they believe that having guns at large in the public creates a situation that negatively impacts public safety (which is obviously wrong and has been proven wrong time and time again..)... the idea of provisions for limiting travel with guns in the car is solely to limit the amount of time your guns are not locked away in your home...

the NJ government probably wants you to use common sense..  go to range.. go home.. put your guns away.... and in the course of that travel stopping only where it is necessary... your driving home and NEED to go to the bathroom... you are driving home and you NEED to get gas.. sure... those are likely reasonable stops... 

the notion that stopping to sit down and get lunch is a necessary deviation is not one I would rest my freedom on.. and I say that because I feel that the intention of the law is to having me go to and from as directly as possible... the reason that it is likely even part of the guidelines is to avoid that guy who is going to drive around for days claiming he is on his way to or from the range.. 

I agree with this.  I also think that the police and prosecutors use due discretion when enforcing this law.  It's not like the police are following people home from gun ranges and arresting them for a minor deviation.  The law is vague and the government likes it that way.