gleninjersey

Ruger GP 100 in .327 instead of .357

Thoughts?

I've been doing some reading and it seems like an interesting, well rounded gun for a newbie.  Virtually as powerful as the .357 but less recoil and it holds 7 rounds. 

For those who have one, how hard is it to find ammo and how does the price of the ammo compare to that of .357?

I've been looking for a GP 100 in .357 ....nobody has one right now.  I have a .327 on hold but want to make sure I"m not making a mistake buying something that will be difficult to find ammo for (main concern).  Everything I've read seems to indicate that it is great gun.

Thanks in advance for your input.

If it were my money, I wouldnt go 327. Finding ammo for it 327 or 32 H&R/SW/SW Long is a serious point that you will need to contend with for the life of the gun. 38/357 have stood the test of time and will probably be around for much more time to come, I wouldnt say the your caliber choice will have the same track record.

FWIW, the 327 was designed to get 357 performance in a J Frame size gun that could hold 6 rounds.

I just purchased the 6" SS GP 100...currently waiting for arrival but it should be at TJ Sporting Arms Monday. I live the .357 n the 6" barrel helps. The plus is also being able to shoot .38 special rounds. A lot less recoil and easier on the wallet.  Good luck!

-Scott

I think if you do a little reading you may find that the .327 mag. is what some may call a 

Super mag and is intended to have the punch of a .357 in a smaller casing to allow 6-shooters

to have the fire power of the 5-round .357 small frame revolvers.

If it were me - I would opt for the more popular .357 as I can always shoot .38 spl if I so desire.

I do not think you can chamber any other cal. with the .327

I think if you do a little reading you may find that the .327 mag. is what some may call a 

Super mag and is intended to have the punch of a .357 in a smaller casing to allow 6-shooters

to have the fire power of the 5-round .357 small frame revolvers.

If it were me - I would opt for the more popular .357 as I can always shoot .38 spl if I so desire.

I do not think you can chamber any other cal. with the .327

Actually, just like you can use .38s in the .357 you can use .32s in the .327 ......

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/specs/327-GP100.pdf

Also, I did some a quick search and .327/.32 ammo seems very comparable to .357/.38   .....As to the availability of .327/.32 I'm not really certain.

I've been trying to find a GP100 for a while now.

Finally managed to spot one but then realized it was a 327 and decided against it.

FYI, a S&W 686+ also holds 7 rounds (357/.38) and they seem to be easier to find than Rugers nowadays.

Was it local? Recent? Price?

If I found one of those when I had the $ and a P2P (or the SP101 in .327) I might finally be motivated enough to start reloading (win win)

I've been trying to find a GP100 for a while now.

Finally managed to spot one but then realized it was a 327 and decided against it.

FYI, a S&W 686+ also holds 7 rounds (357/.38) and they seem to be easier to find than Rugers nowadays.

Why did you opt not to purchase the GP100 .327?

I almost bought the Smith and Wesson 686 Plus (I was really, really close to getting it) but two things stopped me:

1.  The incidents I have read about the internal lock freezing the entire gun up and rendering it completely useless.  While I realize it is very rare, I'm not willing to bet my life on it NOT happening to me at the exact moment I need the gun to work.  I haven't heard of any instances of the GP100 locking up like this.

2.  The price for a S&W 686 Plus is about $150 or $200 more than a Ruger GP100.  I would rather save that money for ammo or my next gun purchase.

Heritage Guild in Easton PA had the S&W 686 Plus in stock (I think in a 4' SS finish) last Saturday when I was there.  They were asking $819 for it.  I also called RTSP in Randolph and they had the GP100 but only in 6 inch and they wanted close to $900 for it!

It is a very nice gun but for my first gun I want reliability (the internal lock freezing the entire gun up negates this), simplicity and to a certain extent affordability.  The Ruger GP100 wins 3 out of 3 of those.  The S&W 686 2 out of 3.  

If I already owned an extremely reliable revolver,I would have no problem purchasing a S&W 686 Plus.  Aesthetically, it is a beautiful gun and the trigger is very smooth.  .  Maybe I'll own one down the road but not for my very first handgun purchase.

I almost bought the Smith and Wesson 686 Plus but two things stopped me:

1.  The incidents I have read about the internal lock freezes the entire gun up.  While I realize it is very rare, I'm not willing to bet my life on it NOT happening to me at the exact moment I need the gun to work.  I haven't heard of any instances of the GP100 locking up like this.

2.  The price for a S&W 686 Plus is about $150 or $200 more than a GP100.  I would rather save that money for ammo or my next gun purchase.

Heritage Guild in Easton PA had the S&W 686 Plus in stock (I think in a 4' SS finish) last Saturday when I was there.  They were asking $819 for it.  I also called RTSP in Randolph and they had the GP100 but only in 6 inch and they wanted close to $900 for it!

It is a very nice gun but for my first gun I want reliability (with the internal lock freezing the entire gun up negates this), simplicity and to a certain extent affordability.  The Ruger GP wins 3 out of 3 of those.  The S&W 686 2 out of 3.  

If I already owned an extremely reliable revolver, I would have no problem purchasing a S&W 686 Plus.  Maybe I'll own one down the road but not for my very first handgun purchase.

I respect that. I was also concerned when I learned out about the lock and potential issues.

However, didn't have any luck finding a GP100 (in 357).

The more I was researching the more I realized that the "issue" is very rare and highly unlikely, not to mention I've always wanted a S&W revolver.

Needless to say I am now awaiting my 586 ;)

Maybe I'm just antsy b/c I can't find a GP100 .357 any where!?  I'm on a list to be called at 4 different guns shops in hopes that they get some soon.  I think they are flying off the shelves because of the reasons I laid out earlier....probably a little more so to do with the affordability for the mass market.

If it's more rounds you seek, go with a S&W 627 , N-Frame - 8 Shots of 38/357 . Wonderful guns,.

The S&Ws are fine guns but the noted problem of the lock freezing the gun up eliminated them from consideration unfortunetly.  I was THIS close to buying a really nice 4 inch 686 Plus but I kept thinking of the gun freezing.  I know it is a remote and statistically small significance but I haven't heard of Rugers having any simlar problems.  That is the main reason I'm looking for the Ruger.

The S&Ws are fine guns but the noted problem of the lock freezing the gun up eliminated them from consideration unfortunetly.  I was THIS close to buying a really nice 4 inch 686 Plus but I kept thinking of the gun freezing.  I know it is a remote and statistically small significance but I haven't heard of Rugers having any simlar problems.  That is the main reason I'm looking for the Ruger.

There s plenty of GP100s on Gunbroker

Wy dont you get one online and do a transfer

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=346446492

Thats where I just bought my brand new GP100 SS 6" and even with the transfer fees & shipping Im well below the retail price. Couldnt pass it up. Would have paid Tony at TJs since I have gotten all my guns from him but he couldnt find 1. He is doing the transfer for me.

-Scott

2 reasons

1.  I want a new 4'' GP 100 in stainless steel.  The least expensive "Buy It Now" is $625.  Then I need to add shipping, lets say $25, and then pay for the transfer, which I'm guessing cost about $50 or so from what I've read.  So now a gun that cost around $550-$600 in the store is costing me at least $700.  I guess I could try bidding for one and hope I get one closer to the $550 or $600 range.  There was one that was the seller said was "hardly used/only shot once" and was very reasonably prices but they refused to ship to certain states (NJ being one of them)....which I completely don't understand!!!!  That gun had nice after market sights as well and that would have been a bonus.

2.  I'm a little leery about buying a gun from someone several hundred miles away.  I like the idea that if I have a problem or a question I can go back to where I bought it or call them.  This is my first gun purchase and I don't want to either a) pay too much for the gun or 2) buy something that isn't exactly what I thought it was and be stuck with it.  So for my first purchase I'll probably be sticking with buying local from an established/reputable seller.  Later I'll be willing to "roll the dice" a little and buy some guns advertised as "hardly ever fired".....I'm actually looking forward to that.

How much does shipping and the transfer cost?  Is my estimate of $75 to high or too low?  I don't need the gun shipped overnight or anything....regular ground shipping would be fine.

Do auction guns ship ordinarily sell for less than the "Buy It Now" price or do they usually go over?

The link i posted above was for a brand new Ruger GP100 stainless steel with a buy it now price of 599

So 599$+35$UPS+50$transfer makes it 684$

I realize that you want the 4"inch but 625$'for buy it now,is not that much if a difference considering that you ll spend a few hundred on ammo in the first months of gun ownership plus gas plus range fees.

Most if not all places in case of a problem will ask you to contact the manufacturer and send them the gun.

I spent less the your mentioned buy it now for my gun with shipping n transfer fees. Have to find the right gun, right seller who wont kill u on shipping and the right transfer dealer for you.  Mine was all the above at the right time. And the gun I got is a 6" .357 Stainless Steel.

-Scott

If you check the discount sites regularly (kygunco, kittery trading post, buds, etc) they'll have one or two GPs @ decent prices occasionally. My hunting buddy picked up a 3" for $570 or $580, shipped plus $40 transfer (truvalue in Lincoln Park). Rick at OMG in Bayyone and Precision Gun Coating in Edison charge $35 for transfers.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I just put the GP100 in .357 on a "wish list" on Budsgunshop.  Their "Last Price" is shown as $536.  If I could get it for around that I would be very happy (even with the extra $75 or so of S&H & FFL Transfer).

I have yet another question....the site list it as a "Model KGPF-340" but Rugers website says the 4'' in Stainless Steel (SS) is catalog# KGP-141 & model # 1705.  Is the model number because it is an "older" new gun / olders production run?  Thanks.

Not trying to be offensive, but that's one of the worst reasons i've heard to go with ruger over s&w.... The chaces of that actually happening is very slim, but regardless.. the " lock " can litterally be removed in about 90 seconds with a flat head screwdriver and needle nose pliers.... and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Also, IIRC alot of the newer rugers have locks too, not sure if the newer GP100s have them yet, But I know the Ruger LCR I bought last year has a lock.

Not trying to be offensive, but that's one of the worst reasons i've heard to go with ruger over s&w.... The chaces of that actually happening is very slim, but regardless.. the " lock " can litterally be removed in about 90 seconds with a flat head screwdriver and needle nose pliers.... and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Also, IIRC alot of the newer rugers have locks too, not sure if the newer GP100s have them yet, But I know the Ruger LCR I bought last year has a lock.

I'm not offended and it isn't my intention to offend anyone else.  I've laid out 2 reasons that I feel Ruger holds the edge over S&W as far as the Ruger GP100 vs the S&W 686 for one's first and only (for the time being) gun purchase.

1. Reliabilty - I haven't come across any information about Ruger GP100s completely freezing up.  This is my first gun purchase.  It will mostly be used for recreational shooting but will also serve as my ONLY home defense gun.  I hope to God I never have to use a gun to defend myself or my family.  I do want the option of having a gun though in case that situation ever arises.  I want that gun to be very, very, very reliable.  From the reading and research I've done, the GP100 edges out the 686 here.  If I'm incorrect, please let me know.

2.  Affordability - the GP100 cost less and performs comparably to the 686 for what I need it to do.  If you would like to donate the extra money it costs to purchase the 686 and to have the lock removed, I'll take it! 

3.  Be easy to use.  The GP100 and 686 tie.  They are both very easy to use and understand.

I'm not saying the 686 isn't a fine gun.  As a matter of fact I really like it....just not for my first purchase.  I'm sure eventually it will find a way into my soon to be expanding collection and I'll look forward to shooting it at the range someday.  But if I had both guns and had to reach for one in a life or death situation I would reach for the GP100 each and every time.

So thinking I may hit up some local gun shops tomorrow to check on how available .327 and .32 ammo is.  If it is readily available I may just purcashe the GP100 in .327 tomorrow.  I like the idea of near .357 power with less recoil and coupled with the GP100s reliabilty and afforabability I think it would a great purchase.  If the ammo is scarce, we'll I guess I'll have to wait to find a .357 version.

I'm not offended and it isn't my intention to offend anyone else.  I've laid out 2 reasons that I feel Ruger holds the edge over S&W as far as the Ruger GP100 vs the S&W 686 for one's first and only (for the time being) gun purchase.

1. Reliabilty - I haven't come across any information about Ruger GP100s completely freezing up.  This is my first gun purchase.  It will mostly be used for recreational shooting but will also serve as my ONLY home defense gun.  I hope to God I never have to use a gun to defend myself or my family.  I do want the option of having a gun though in case that situation ever arises.  I want that gun to be very, very, very reliable.  From the reading and research I've done, the GP100 edges out the 686 here.  If I'm incorrect, please let me know.

2.  Affordability - the GP100 cost less and performs comparably to the 686 for what I need it to do.  If you would like to donate the extra money it costs to purchase the 686 and to have the lock removed, I'll take it! 

3.  Be easy to use.  The GP100 and 686 tie.  They are both very easy to use and understand.

I'm not saying the 686 isn't a fine gun.  As a matter of fact I really like it....just not for my first purchase.  I'm sure eventually it will find a way into my soon to be expanding collection and I'll look forward to shooting it at the range someday.  But if I had both guns and had to reach for one in a life or death situation I would reach for the GP100 each and every time.

So thinking I may hit up some local gun shops tomorrow to check on how available .327 and .32 ammo is.  If it is readily available I may just purcashe the GP100 in .327 tomorrow.  I like the idea of near .357 power with less recoil and coupled with the GP100s reliabilty and afforabability I think it would a great purchase.  If the ammo is scarce, we'll I guess I'll have to wait to find a .357 version.

Sure the GP100 costs less, so does Craftsman over Hilti, Kia over Dodge, McDonalds over Bobby Flay ! you get my point. There is a reason you are paying less, sure - they both go * Bang! * but you need to consider quality , reputation, and resale value. When I sold my GP100 I took a huge hit on it, S&W's typically hold their value, and ussually increase in value over time.

If having the lock on your smith and wesson is an issue you can do one of two things, find one of the bazillons of used 686s produced without it, or stop by my place and i'll remove it for free.

Also, unless you plan on reloading... Dont bother with the .327, others have mentioned plenty of good reasons. I've personally never seen .327 on the ammo shelves, IMO it's sort of an obscure round. Stick with 38special / 357. It's cheap, common, and plenty of it out there.

GP100 will likely serve you just fine, but just throwing out some information.

The only gun store that i ve seen 327 Mag is Cabelas. And this was throughout the post sandy hook period when the shelves were bare. Simply no one has that caliber and that was why they still had it in stock.

Same case with 7.62x38 Nagant.