Sign in to follow this  
JaredC

Colt ar... Colt light carbine 1200 or m4 carbine used but new 1400

i like the colt carbine however i am unaware of the differences between the light carbine and the m4 carbine

the light carbine is priced at 1200

the m4 carbine is used but new priced at 1400

any pros / cons to either or?

If the Colt Light Carbine is the model 6900 then the price is a little high (list $900).  Light Carbine is from a Kentucky plant has no forward assist or dust cover.  I believe the lower is slightly different also.  Does not have good reviews in the carbine community.  The preferred carbine are the models based on the 6920 or 6940 platform.  Just a better built firearm.  You can also look for the MT6400 carbine, this would be a 6920 style with a crown barrel and no bayo mount and fixed stock.  Was sold here in NJ as a compliant firearm.  Current 6920's will need to be NJ neutered before sale.  If its a colt you want, keep looking a lot of ARs will be popping up as people dump them now the ban is in a limbo state for now.  Below is the latest Colt Price List link for all their Products.  Shop wisely.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=795&PortalId=0&DownloadMethod=attachment

Dont go with the 6900. Just think 899$ all day long. Even during last winter. The bcg is batch tested Also as already said no forward assist or dust cover. Its not really a colt. Imo. I got one and tried it out. It did have a smooth trigger with no creep. It just rubbed me the wrong way after thoroughly going over it. But you're better spending 1100 $ or so on a 6920. I got a magpul one on gunbroker the other month for 1119$. The mt6400 is way over priced right now. If you get it online youll need to get it neutered. Plenty of dealers on here that can help you do that. If you need a muzzle brake i have some dpms branson brakes that are already tapped/ threaded with a set screw ar's for all and learn on iron sights first. You'll appreciate her much more.

The Colt Carbine is not a genuine Colt product, it is made under license by Anderson Mfg in Kentuckey.

It does not use genuine Colt parts, nor is it in any way, shape, or form a true Colt.

The Colt Carbine (6900) was designed to get into the entry level market and compete alongside the DPMS Oracle and S&W Sport model rifles.

The MSRP is $899, so $1200 is WAY too much money for that rifle.

The M4 carbine (6920) is a true Colt, made in Harford, Ct, built from mil-spec Colt parts. $1400 is a bit high, they can be had new these days for $11-1200, but it depends on what this one comes with. If it has mags, ammo, optics, ect, it may be worth it.

As has been pointed out already, you will have to neuter is to comply with NJ laws.

The Colt 'MT' series of rifles come NJ ready right out of the box. They are always more scarce and expensive than the 6920/6940's, because they cater to a smaller market.

It is cheaper and easier to buy a 6920/6940 and have it made compliant to NJ laws.

ADCO does a very nice job of doing this at a relatively reasonable price. I'm sure there are FFL's in NJ who will do this as well.

Jeff