mikeyboyeee

Florida in car legality

So, I am driving down to Florida in 2 weeks to scout a place to set up base camp for my job hunt and relocation.

I do not have my non res CCW there yet, but will be applying when I get dowsn there.

Obviously I can not carry on my person.

As an out of state res, can I keep a loaded firearm in my glovebox?

Also, I plan to bring a couple of firearms down with me. Possibly my ar, sub 2000 and 2 handguns.

They will be locked in the trunk, possibly inside suitcase.

Is their anything I should be worried about as far as transporting thru the various states?  I will be making a stopover 2 nights in SC (not worried) and another in GA (again not worried), but traveling thru DC, MD, etc concerns me.  I plan to have handguns broken down and possibly the ar in 2 pieces.  Should that be enough?

Thank you.

I don't know about the glove box in FL Mike, never looked into it, but driving down, you don't need to "breakdown" anything, just transport unloaded and properly cased. Are you actually going thru DC? You don't need to unless you were going for a specific reason. Personally I'd avoid DC with the firearms in your car. Definitely wouldn't stop and spend any time there.

In Glove box is ok in FL even without a CCL so long as you are in FL.

FL does not have a non res CCL anymore, they only have one CCL for everyone

Locked in trunk is fine for the rest of the stuff

In Glove box is ok in FL even without a CCL so long as you are in FL.

FL does not have a non res CCL anymore, they only have one CCL for everyone

Locked in trunk is fine for the rest of the stuff

This^

Florida's Castle Doctrine and Stand your Ground laws extend to the vehicle, counting it as a dwelling and property. 

Take the bypass AROUND DC. Besides avoiding a whole lot of unnecessary traffic, you avoid all the political BS and posturing that goes with it. Although you add maybe 25-30 minutes to your drive time. Its better than getting stuck in traffic (which is a nightmare) and its better than getting caught with firearms. 

This^

Florida's Castle Doctrine and Stand your Ground laws extend to the vehicle, counting it as a dwelling and property. 

Take the bypass AROUND DC. Besides avoiding a whole lot of unnecessary traffic, you avoid all the political BS and posturing that goes with it. Although you add maybe 25-30 minutes to your drive time. Its better than getting stuck in traffic (which is a nightmare) and its better than getting caught with firearms. 

In our lovely State anyone can carry their gun in their car BUT in must be in a closed container. That can be a shoebox, glove box or even just a holster with a snap thumb break. However, keep in mind that not all LEO know the finer points of the law so it is best to just put it in the center console or glove box. Whatever you do, do not put it on your person or so close to you that it can be considered on your person. The short answer is you can keep it off your body anyplace in a container that requires that the container first be opened before you can get the gun. Aside from the obvious, the other methods can be determined to be legal at your trial. :) Some just put a towel/hat/rag/etc. over their gun in the passenger's seat although if you stop short your gun will go flying out of reach.

WARNING:  While it is legal for anyone to carry a gun in their car, it is illegal to carry it in your car in a school zone and that means if the school is right on the street and you drive past it, you are technically in violation of Federal law. It is one of those stupid laws that politicians did not think through. The major concern for Florida is that you cannot transport your gun from your car if you are parked in a common area such as is found in an apartment, hotel or condo complex. It is illegal to do so. This is a flaw in the law but as it reads, you need a ccw license to move your gun from your apartment/condo/hotel to and from your car. BE VERY AWARE OF THIS LEGAL FLAW. So while you can carry in a car, getting it to and from the car may be a problem. This is why a lot of people get their ccw license even if they just carry a gun in their car. However, you can have a gun in your hotel room as it is considered your domicile while staying there. How you get it to and from you car is another matter. Just a not well thought out law but a law nonetheless. Our Evans is Jon Gutmacher. Google him. His book on Florida gun laws is used in LEO training centers. It will answer all of your questions. Just be aware that should you carry your gun to/from you car illegally and then have to use it, it will become a major issue at your trial. :) I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. it is just what I read that a lawyer here wrote. :)

As someone who has made the NJ/FL trip many times I too urge you to avoid Washington, DC. I usually do but the last time I was in a hurry and got caught up in traffic so bad that I had to cancel my hotel and find someplace closer. I was stuck in traffic from 1 PM until it got dark at about 5 PM due to rain and heavy fog which caused accidents coupled with heavy traffic. We just sat there most of the time.

Great info Old Dog. What is the deal transporting through D.C. to Va. and points further south. I thought it was ok if packed unloaded in trunk or rear of vehicle. Idea being...not easily accessible.

It is but FOPA is treated as an affirmative defense by some jurisdictions. You can still be arrested.