amagi

"Voluntary Registration" - Moving to NJ from PA

Hey Guys,

I'm relocating for work. I'm moving to Hoboken from Philadelphia. I'm originally from New Jersey, so I"m more than familiar with the firearms laws however I just got off the phone with the Sergeant at the Hoboken Firearms Unit. 

I was told to get a voluntary registration form from the NJSP so I could register my hand guns (three hand guns). Is it common practice for them to bully you into registering your firearms, even though it isn't compulsory? 

I'm not registering anything. I just want to know if I am in for a ride when I go and try to get my FID. 

Thanks,

Amagi

They will probably ask you to but they can't make you.

When you apply for the FID they don't (shouldn't) ask if you have any guns already and there's no reason to volunteer that information. Plus if you bought your guns back when you were a NJ resident prior, they already know anyway.

The permit to purchase a handgun is also a form of registration as you probably know.

That s for guns bought in NJ.

As for being bullyed to register them at my PD when you go and pick up or apply for FID and permits they never have mentioned anything or implied it verbally :)

They do however have a copied registration form when they give you the application package each and every time.

Registration in NJ is voluntary and there is no reason to do so.  If they push the issue and aren't backing down, the NJ State Police Firearms Investigation Unit in Trenton can clearly answer your questions.  They will sometimes call a police chief to help them understand the law if there is an issue.

It's voluntary in New Jersey, and I never volunteer...

A few years ago, we received a form letter from our township asking about our alarm system, and also asking about firearms, guard dogs or anything else that might conceivably pose a danger to first responders.

I rolled my eyes. My wife (the archetypal trusting, caring social worker) rolled her eyes, too. We told them about the alarm, which they knew about already.

Interestingly, they didn't ask about swimming pools. "Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?"