Steve_G

Around the house compact...opinions

After eliminating all plastic guns from my safe last year, I find myself considering another for just general around the house use and possibly for the increasingly rare out of state carry. Generally looking at .40's, maybe 9mm. I have looked at the M&P40c, G23, USP 40c, and P2000sk. All seem to have their good points and short comings. Reliability, weight, size, capacity, and 4 o'clock IWB comfort are the main considerations. I'm not interested in any of the single stack sub compacts and pocket pistols at this time. Looking for opinions and experiences from those who own any of these or maybe some others I have not yet considered.

If it is for around the house carry where there is much less scrutiny of your concealment, why are you limiting yourself to a "compact"? You can easily conceal a full size gun and I guarantee you will be able to shoot it better than any compact. I conceal a G35 with white light and RDS mounted in an IWB holster daily while off duty with ease and comfort. Concealment is easy and I go everywhere with this setup.

If you're interested in something a little smaller, I have the SCCY pistols.  9mm, small, light and U.S. made with a lifetime transferable warranty.  Had some teething problems in the beginning, but the bugs seem to be worked out of them.  Inexpensive as well. 

G23 is never a bad choice, either. 

Rick.

If it is for around the house carry where there is much less scrutiny of your concealment, why are you limiting yourself to a "compact"? You can easily conceal a full size gun and I guarantee you will be able to shoot it better than any compact. I conceal a G35 with white light and RDS mounted in an IWB holster daily while off duty with ease and comfort. Concealment is easy and I go everywhere with this setup.

I guess the main reason would be because I don't have a compact (or a .40), just an excuse to get another gun. I can conceal my 1911's just fine, just wanted to go a little lighter and smaller.

Just curious why did you get rid of all plastic guns? Recycling? Lol...

Plastic is for putting food in, not bullets... :onthequiet:  I find that I just don't really enjoy the polymer guns. Even though the ones I had were for a specific purpose, I still like to take them to the range fairly often and they just didn't do anything for me, very boring guns. I'm just "considering another now, may just get a Sig p239 SAS, I know I love that one. Just doesn't help much in the weight or capacity areas.

If concealment is not an issue why IWB? OWB is much more comfy and faster than IWB and fits any body shape.

Wife and kids not crazy about that. Neighbors on one side (ex Brooklynites), like calling the cops for every little thing that scares them.

I guess the main reason would be because I don't have a compact (or a .40), just an excuse to get another gun. I can conceal my 1911's just fine, just wanted to go a little lighter and smaller.

Plastic is for putting food in, not bullets... :onthequiet:  I find that I just don't really enjoy the polymer guns. Even though the ones I had were for a specific purpose, I still like to take them to the range fairly often and they just didn't do anything for me, very boring guns. I'm just "considering" another now, may just get a Sig p239 SAS, I know I love that one. Just doesn't help much in the weight or capacity areas.

Wife and kids not crazy about that. Neighbors on one side (ex Brooklynites), like calling the cops for every little thing that scares them.