david8613

how bad is remanufactured ammo?

The "USA" brand 45 ACP I bought some years back is still the bane of my existence.  Actually a friend bought it for his Glock, it had feeding problems, was smokey, and gave a nice pattern (but it's not a shotgun!) and a poor group.  So I bought it off him for next to nothing and loaded it up in moon clips for my S&W 1917 revolver. 

However it is poorly crimped and the recoil in a revolver pulls the bullets.  Sometimes you can get all 6 to fire, sometimes the bullet moves forward enough to lock up the cylinder until you push it back down - at that point the powder is loose in the cylinder.  Grrr. Ugh. (Worse words were said the last time I was shooting it.) I'm thinking of trying superglue around the case mouth, or running it all through a crimp die (but I have no reloading gear anymore, stolen some years back.)  So I'll just whine and encourage others to avoid like the plague.

What's the worst case scenario from bad reloads?  I've never fired reloads, but I definitely see how their lower price, and easy availability can be appealing.

Would it destroy my gun?  Would it just make it dirtier?  Is it "only" FTE or FTF?  I can deal with poor groupings if all I want to do is go to the range and kill paper for bit.

What's the worst case scenario from bad reloads?  I've never fired reloads, but I definitely see how their lower price, and easy availability can be appealing.

Would it destroy my gun?  Would it just make it dirtier?  Is it "only" FTE or FTF?  I can deal with poor groupings if all I want to do is go to the range and kill paper for bit.

i think the one that scares everyone is the rare "squib" load ( which had happened in factory loads also). Those can do some damage to the gun and your hand..