Anselmo

Gun safety question

Just recently I was at a street fair in California.  There were lots of booths and vendors ranging from wine to caramel popcorn.  One of the booths was a gun store.  Surprised me to see that.  On their table they had several firearms with 3 foot long cables locked on them.  I assumed this was so you could pick the guns up to check them out but not walk off with them. I picked one up (357 mag Desert Eagle) and in trying to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, pointed it down.  The vendor immediately said, "I'd appreciate it if you kept the gun on the table.  We don't want it get scratched." 

I'm not very experienced with guns but every I examine a gun, the gun is racked and cleared by the owner.  Since the gun was custom finished and wasn't cleared, I wasn't even sure it was a real gun until I picked it up.  Then when I got scolded for keeping the gun low I was left with questions about gun safety.  I put the gun down and left the booth.  There were a lot of people in the street and I'm not at all comfortable handing the weapon without assurance that it was unloaded.  I would have at least expected a chamber flag. 

From what I've learned on the Internet and seen in NJ and PA, guns are cleared each time someone picks it up. 

Am I overly cautious or was the booth a little loose with their safety rules?

I always verify that a gun is unloaded as soon as I touch it.  I've been in lots of gun shops that do not rack the gun before handing it to a customer.  In fact, most of the gun shops I've been in do not.  Most of the gun shops I've been in also aren't too careful about rule #2 - "always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" and I've been swept with the muzzle lots of times.

I always verify that a gun is unloaded as soon as I touch it.  I've been in lots of gun shops that do not rack the gun before handing it to a customer.  In fact, most of the gun shops I've been in do not.  Most of the gun shops I've been in also aren't too careful about rule #2 - "always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" and I've been swept with the muzzle lots of times.

Even after seeing someone show the gun is unloaded I get nervous if someone sweeps the muzzle in my direction

Even after seeing someone show the gun is unloaded I get nervous if someone sweeps the muzzle in my direction

That's a good sign. I am the same way.

People shouldn't do that. My guess is most gun shops gave up on that and instead focus on keeping the guns cleared. That's not enough, but I haven't walked in their shoes.

There is a really nice little shop very close to me where a lot of nice people shop for guns. The owner is very nice. He did an out of state transfer for me for $20, which is reasonable. Problem was, I went there to arrange the transfer. I went back to pick it up. Every time anybody asks about a gun (including me) he immediate picks it up, points it at you, and beings pressing the trigger. He's not playing a game, he just can't hold a gun without pressing the trigger and when he shows you a gun it is pointed at your chest. It's the craziest shit I have seen. Those were the only tow times I was ever there, and I won't be going back.

That's a good sign. I am the same way.

People shouldn't do that. My guess is most gun shops gave up on that and instead focus on keeping the guns cleared. That's not enough, but I haven't walked in their shoes.

There is a really nice little shop very close to me where a lot of nice people shop for guns. The owner is very nice. He did an out of state transfer for me for $20, which is reasonable. Problem was, I went there to arrange the transfer. I went back to pick it up. Every time anybody asks about a gun (including me) he immediate picks it up, points it at you, and beings pressing the trigger. He's not playing a game, he just can't hold a gun without pressing the trigger and when he shows you a gun it is pointed at your chest. It's the craziest shit I have seen. Those were the only tow times I was ever there, and I won't be going back.

That's pretty scary man. I wouldn't go back either, haha.