deerpark

Buying a rifle from my brother in PA.

I would like to buy a rifle (NJ compliant of-course) from my brother in PA.

Waiting on my FID card (going on 5 months).

Knowing that I would not be prevented from buying a firearm, can he legally sell it to me? 

Would this apply to a handgun as well? 

based on how things are now. If he is a resident of PA and you are a resident of NJ. You would have to have the rifle shipped in from a PA FFL to a NJ FFL. Then you would have to pay the transfer fees and a NICS check. The rifle would have to be NJ compliant when it gets here or the NJ FFL will not release the rifle to you.

That's the quick and dirty version of it.

Yes to both, but they must both go through an FFL. If it's a long gun, you can use an FFL in PA to conduct the transfer. If a handgun, the transfer must take place at an FFL in NJ, and be transferred using a pistol permit.

As was said above.  If it is a handgun, you have to go through an NJ FFL.  A long gun can be transferred through a PA FFL or NJ FFL.  I believe your brother can physically bring the guns to either an NJ FFL or PA FFL to avoid shipping fees, but I would certainly be mindful of NJ transport laws.  Does he have an NJ FID card?

based on how things are now. If he is a resident of PA and you are a resident of NJ. You would have to have the rifle shipped in from a PA FFL to a NJ FFL. Then you would have to pay the transfer fees and a NICS check. The rifle would have to be NJ compliant when it gets here or the NJ FFL will not release the rifle to you.

That's the quick and dirty version of it.

Incorrect - An interstate sale of a long gun must got through an FFL. However, it can be an FFL in either the buyer's home state or the seller's. All applicable firearms laws from both states must be adhered to, which means you can use an FFL in PA, near your brother, but you must have your FPID and a COE is supposed to be completed for seller & buyer. A PA FFL may not want to be bothered with a COE (technically a violation of Fed Law) since he can't be audited by the NJSP, but you should make a copy for yourself. Doing it FTF at an FFL in PA saves you the cost of shipping and PA PICS is only $2 - $5 as opposed to NJ which is usually $15 (never less).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Incorrect - An interstate sale of a long gun must got through an FFL. However, it can be an FFL in either the buyer's home state or the seller's. All applicable firearms laws from both states must be adhered to, which means you can use an FFL in PA, near your brother, but you must have your FPID and a COE is supposed to be completed for seller & buyer. A PA FFL may not want to be bothered with a COE (technically a violation of Fed Law) since he can't be audited by the NJSP, but you should make a copy for yourself. Doing it FTF at an FFL in PA saves you the cost of shipping and PA PICS is only $2 - $5 as opposed to NJ which is usually $15 (never less).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I was told by the guys at BANGERs that ANY out of state firearm that comes in to NJ MUST go though a NJ FFL to confirm it's Compliancy in NJ. The reason behind this is, an out of state FFL may not fully know what is and isn't legal in the destination state.  If you were to buy a Rifle in PA that was not ban compliant and the FFL let you leave with it because it is Legal in PA. once you bring that non ban compliant rifle over the bridge, you broke the law. shipping from FFL to FFL then to customer "checks and confirms" the compliancy of the rifle. It also "logs" it in to the database. :( I was also told that ANY out of state Firearm (pistol or rifle) transferred into the State requires the buyer to go though a NICS.

maybe they were wrong... I am by far no authority on the matter.

I was told by the guys at BANGERs that ANY out of state firearm that comes in to NJ MUST go though a NJ FFL to confirm it's Compliancy in NJ. The reason behind this is, an out of state FFL may not fully know what is and isn't legal in the destination state. I was also told that ANY out of state Firearm (pistol or rifle) transferred into the State requires the buyer to go though a NICS.

maybe they were wrong...

NJ buyers go through PA NICS when buying from a PA FFL, but it costs less than NJ's fees. Also, the information you received from Bangers is incorrect. Many of us purchase long guns in PA.

http://njgunforums.c...nj-gun-law-faq/

1. Handgun purchases by
....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID
........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested
........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)
........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

2. Long gun purchases by
....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID
........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested
........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID
........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through
............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or
............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

I was told by the guys at BANGERs that ANY out of state firearm that comes in to NJ MUST go though a NJ FFL to confirm it's Compliancy in NJ. The reason behind this is, an out of state FFL may not fully know what is and isn't legal in the destination state.  If you were to buy a Rifle in PA that was not ban compliant and the FFL let you leave with it because it is Legal in PA. once you bring that non ban compliant rifle over the bridge, you broke the law. shipping from FFL to FFL then to customer "checks and confirms" the compliancy of the rifle. It also "logs" it in to the database. :( I was also told that ANY out of state Firearm (pistol or rifle) transferred into the State requires the buyer to go though a NICS.

maybe they were wrong... I am by far no authority on the matter.

It is the buyer's responsibility to be in compliance with all F'd up NJ laws, not the FFL dealer.