Dr Bocci

boating with firearms...

So I was talking to one of my patients the other day who talking to me about how he owns a boat and goes deep sea fishing. Sometimes he goes for shark and the fastest was to dispatch them was a shot to the head.

Needless to say that got me thinking, what are regulations regarding firearms on boats? Are they treated as if you were in a car? If they are I would assume all PRNJ regs would apply until you hit international waters (or what ever is end of the njsp's reach- I think 2 miles. If someone knows about maritime law please chime in).

When I was younger we would stand on the pulpit while the boat was running fast with a shotgun and wait till the flying fish would jump out and blast them. I will admit that it was allot of fun. although now I will not kill an animal unless I am going to eat it or it is suffering.

When I was younger we would stand on the pulpit while the boat was running fast with a shotgun and wait till the flying fish would jump out and blast them. I will admit that it was allot of fun. although now I will not kill an animal unless I am going to eat it or it is suffering.

I would take my boat off the mooring some mornings especially during Kingfish season and find a dozen fat flying fish laying in the bottom still alive, prep and chill for the next day's breakfast.I've also shot Tarpon from the boat with a speargun but firearms was not allowed.

So I was talking to one of my patients the other day who talking to me about how he owns a boat and goes deep sea fishing. Sometimes he goes for shark and the fastest was to dispatch them was a shot to the head.

Needless to say that got me thinking, what are regulations regarding firearms on boats? Are they treated as if you were in a car? If they are I would assume all PRNJ regs would apply until you hit international waters (or what ever is end of the njsp's reach- I think 2 miles. If someone knows about maritime law please chime in).

NJ Firearm regulation for boating is the same as it is for the automobile.  Your boat has a NJ registration that is administered through the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.  For all intent and purpose one should treat the boat as it would the automobile.   Many ignorant stories are out there about a boat with a galley, head and sleeping area being equal to a home -- this is not the case. 

I have no idea what, if any, regulations there are beyond the international limit.  Getting to that limit is another story, however. 

NJ Firearm regulation for boating is the same as it is for the automobile.  Your boat has a NJ registration that is administered through the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission.  For all intent and purpose one should treat the boat as it would the automobile.   Many ignorant stories are out there about a boat with a galley, head and sleeping area being equal to a home -- this is not the case. 

I have no idea what, if any, regulations there are beyond the international limit.  Getting to that limit is another story, however. 

I do not think that is entirely correct, many people consider their boats as their second home and expense then the same as a second home.  My friend has lived on his boat for years, it is his residence and only home!

I do not think that is entirely correct, many people consider their boats as their second home and expense then the same as a second home.  My friend has lived on his boat for years, it is his residence and only home!

I also own a large boat that would constitute a live-aboard.  You're friend would have a heck of a time with legal fees if he was found to be in possession, on a boat  that is legally registered in New Jersey.  I've been through this with my attorney.  Your friend is in a enormous gray of the law and if push came to shove...  he will have issues.  (I suppose a Police Officer could look the other way)

How about those driving their fully stocked and outfitted Motor-coaches tooling down the Parkway? The Turnpike, etc...   Same predicament, however, ignorance is not a defense.

Um, he takes police fishing on his Ocean Master (his other boat) all the time, they have never had a problem with his shotgun?  He has secured storage on his larger residence boat.

Precisely...  I often carry a shotgun around in my truck... It's allowed in NJ.  A hand gun -- different story.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, perhaps the cops would also look the other way if he was packing a hand gun, however, it is not legal.  I am sure lots of cops allow friends to do things that are not quite to the letter. 

I wish you both luck if you carry guns on boats. 

Never mentioned a pistol? I said Shotty or Rifle.  I am not aware of any handguns in my marina presently, we did have a private dick that use to wave his ccw around now and then.  We had him thrown out.

So if you live on your boat, I would have to assume you are allowed to possess any nj legal firearm on that vessel. My cousin has a boatin a marina in Md and if I remeber correctly there are mailboxes there for people who live on their boats.

Interesting backwater of the law. Marine law has always been different, including the ones overseen by the DMV and state police, from inspection requirements to age limits to open container laws. Although for purposes of carry I do think they'll arrest first and make you defend in court. And we know what reasoned, legal and fair environment that is.

It is fun however, to pick out the interesting possibilities. What if you own the boat and do fishing charters, either party or individual charter? Then it is also your place of business. What then? If I can carry in my office/warehouse why wouldn't I be able to on my boat where I solely conduct business?

Just asking. I know that no one wants to be the poster boy for PRNJ insane laws and enthusiastic enforcement thereof, but this is how we let our rights erode. Due to fear and an active over-compliance, sometimes reading into the law things that simply aren't there, we are militant against each other over these legitimate questions to these shitty laws.

Just like my obsessive issue with telescoping vs. adjustable. But I digress.

I sometimes wonder who's side we are on. At the very least we are beaten into dysfunction.

I'll close with what Mr. Crabbs says:

"yo-ho, yo-ho

near the hooks

ye'll never go..."

If you want to try carrying on a boat as "place of business" that would include every cab driver and any kind of food truck. Don't think that would fly.

I agree that it's a off white aspect of the law. And as I said, marine laws are different. I pass the state and county marine units on my boat on the lake with a half a dozen open beers all the time. I've been inspected for safety equipment several times with others having drinks while they were on my boat. Yet none of that would fly in a cab. Nor do you have to have PFDs for everyone in a cab. All I'm saying is that there are differences in the law and making the immediate and final assumption that boats are just like motor vehicles driven on roads may be hasty. PWCs are registered yet have basically no rules. They cause more havoc than anyone on the water.

I also vaguely remember that there are other maritime laws that govern firearms that are coast guard regs. And if I remember correctly being armed against piracy is acceptable. Even within sovereign waters.

I have a friend with a pretty big boat in Miami that makes the crossing to Bahamas all the time. He has several weapons on board. For 25 years and never had a problem and has been boarded by the coasties to get a guest that had a heart attack.

As I said, laws are different from motor vehicles. Even if they are registered by DMV.

Now what if I had an open beer in an amphibious car on the water and then I drove up a ramp?