Sign in to follow this  
njpilot

Remote Gun Lock?

I see this as being very bad when you take into consideration the hacking capabilities. Someone disabling your firearm when you need it.

That's if they could even get the technology to work.

Not something I'd want. I'll lock my guns in my safe to keep them out of others hands.

http://www.examiner.com/article/remote-gun-locator-and-shutoff-poses-predicted-threat-to-gun-rights

Remote gun locator and shutoff poses predicted threat to gun rights

Yardarm Technologies has created “a geo-location system that tracks a gun and can remotely lock it (or fire it),” Fox News reported Friday.

“Suppose you and your family are on vacation in Las Vegas, and your firearm is back at home. Wouldn’t you want to know in real time if an intruder, or worse a child, is handling your gun?” CEO Bob Stewart told media. “We want the gun owner to stay connected to their firearm, no matter what the circumstance.”

That sounds like a goal that may interest some gun owners, and that in turn may create a market demand for the technology. The company notes on its website it will give gun owners “unprecedented control of [their] firearm 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the world, including:

• Real-Time Alerts
     --
     You are alerted within milliseconds if your weapon is handled or moved.
  • Remote Safety Control
     --
     Enable or disable the trigger safety on your firearm at any time from your mobile device. If your gun is being handled, you can remotely disable or pre-set for “auto-disable”.
  • Notification to Authorities
     --
    Immediately notify local authorities if unauthorized movement or handling of your weapon is detected.
  • Reporting and Analytics
     --
     Gather and maintain read-only access to real-time and historical reports of your firearm status, location, handling, and use.

The danger is if that visibility and the choices offered can also give "unprecedented control" to someone other than the gun owner, and that could include hackers as well as government/law enforcement agents. Considering the terrifyingly intrusive level of spying Americans are currently subjected to, it’s hardly far-fetched to believe that mandating such technology is something anti-gunners will demand as “common sense” and “a good first step.” With “smart gun” edicts pending technology development being explored in California, New Jersey, Maryland and Connecticut, requiring features to allow authorities to track guns and disable them by remote control would be unsurprising additions to the ever-growing list of “gun control” demands.

That so many “law-abiding” gun owners already accept permits and preconditions on how and where they may and may not be allowed to carry guns, it’s not like widespread acknowledgement of extra-Constitutional government “authority” to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms under the guise of “public/officer safety” hasn’t already been ceded by the vast majority of them -- and their political lobbying groups.

Some have been warning of these developments for years.

“[P]erhaps the most immediate and insidious threat we face from technology comes under the guise of ‘safety -- for the children,’ so-called ‘smart guns’ under development and soon to be required in a state near you,” this columnist wrote in a 2002 Guns and Ammo column. “Because ... they're also lobbying for another technology they developed to be required on cars -- a ‘shutoff switch’ that police can activate by remote control, making the rest of us pay for the infinitesimal fraction of drivers who lead them on car chases.

“As writer Vin Suprynowicz warns (and I and some others independently predicted), this technology could be used by the police as "an `electronic master key' to `disable' any `smart guns' in the house," and be used as a pretext to "ban the manufacture of any gun that ISN'T a `smart gun'," that article concluded.

After all, anti-gunners might ask, if you aren’t doing anything wrong, what have you got to hide? And what are you afraid of?

------------

A new GUNS Magazine "Rights Watch" column is now online. All aboard for the Bloomberg bus bust. Click here to read "Magical Misery Tour.”

I would go for this as long as it was open source, couldn't be hacked (note: nothing created by man is unhackable), and couldn't be controlled or subverted by the govt without my express permission.

I am an engineer and a techie--I love new, hi-tech stuff, but I think one of the great things about guns is simplicity--it is all mechanical, easy to understand, and simple in concept and if you take care of it, it always works.  If it stops working it is easy to figure out why.

If the SHTF I don't want to rely on something that could be compromised and co-opted, or could give me a "blue screen" or I would have to reboot.

Imagine if the British Empire required "smart" guns before 1776--we would still be paying taxes to the crown and drinking tea instead of coffee!

Hey, stop running at me with that knife and hold on a minute, please?  My bullets seem to have caused an exception error, and I have to reboot my gun.  I think these hollow points aren't on the approved ammo list and are causing a conflict.  Or maybe I'm just too close to my home theater system...  What's that? You've already stabbed me 17 times?  Oh, I guess you're right!  Look at all that blood!  ...Well, you better hope this gun doesn't finish rebooting in the next few seconds, cause I'll probably shoot you with it, if it works this time...and I have any strength left...  And the blood doesn't get i the way of the fingerprint scanner...

I'm also so glad that this technology will somehow embed itself [via magic?] into all the existing guns and make the world a safer place for the children...  and for police during a state of emergency...

In the months before these guns become the only kind you can get, the amount of normal pistols sold in this state will skyrocket [and make post-Newtown shelves look absolutely overflowing]...and once it does go into effect, legal handgun sales will drop to like 3 a month, and drive people 'underground' so they don't have to get any of these terrible ideas that should never have even gone down onto paper, let alone into prototyping...

Remotely fire a gun??? I can think of no situation when this would be remotely acceptable.

Expect CA to mandate this technology on all guns.

As a techie, it would be fun to play around with, but sadly, that's the first step toward mandating it.

I think it would be great for evaluating shot groupings and for dialing in your sights.  Secure the gun in a holding frame and have it take several shots at pre-programmed intervals.  Takes the human out of the loop so you can evaluate the hardware.

I think it would also be applicable to alternate triggerring--if you could firmly hold the gun, out your finger on the trigger to "arm" and then tap your heel or something else (not involving your hand) to fire.  Or even the use of an electronic microswitch instead of a mechanical trigger.  Would remove the trigger pull from the equation.

Kinda curious what made this thread "political"

Getting a little ridiculous around here at times.

Yes I was wondering about that too.  Someone mentioned the govt and then I mentioned 1776--maybe that did it?

If I'm not mistaken didn't NJ already approve "smart" gun technology? Even though the technology was not available at the passing the ground work is laid for mandatory adoption of something similar to this. Any ideas how far out this is? This could be a very credible threat to firearms in NJ.