Sign in to follow this  
Donobieus

Camper Carrying

Now that I am the proud owner of a new Camper.  One that is big enough to write off on my taxes as a second home.  Am I allowed to keep a firearm on board?  I understand that if a particular campground has rules against firearms on their property that i cant, but without said rule, would it be legal?

I don't think you'll find a clear answer on this, another one if those "gray areas". I have a 35' motorhome, I installed a small lock-box near my bed inside it. When I travel, handgun is unloaded and box is locked (I don't own long guns and don't want one). Once my leveling jacks are down and my slide-out is open and I am sleeping in there it's a domicile as far as I'm concerned and it's loaded and accessible next to my bed. This is one of the main reasons I got my FL CCW permit, it's not the campgrounds I worry about as much as the seedy rest areas during a long trip. I'm no lawyer and I'm sure others will weigh in and tell me how right or wrong this is, but IMHO this falls under "better judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My brother in-law is retired and travels throughout the US in his trailer. He is getting his first handguns soon and the FL and UT CC permits to go with them. They eliminate the gray in all but 11 states.

He intends to keep it unloaded while driving but will follow what BD104X does when parked.

My brother in-law is retired and travels throughout the US in his trailer. He is getting his first handguns soon and the FL and UT CC permits to go with them. They eliminate the gray in all but 11 states.

He intends to keep it unloaded while driving but will follow what BD104X does when parked.

Thats great for everywhere except NJ....So far i have only camped here.  My question was more along the lines of can i keep a firearm in my camper since it is considered a domicile?  I can declare it as a second home on my taxes so realistically i should be able to keep my gun or guns in the camper.  I think?  Thats where the gray comes in.....

May be legal once you're camping but it does not fall into one of the exemptions that would allow you to transport it to the campsite in NJ.  Out of state with a ccw - go for it.  With a FID, you can transport a shotgun within NJ if you follow the rules- just as good for home defense....er...camper defense.

only the front driving area in a motorrhome is a motorvehicle.  the area behind the front seats is a house. This was explaind to me when we test drove ours, my son was in a car seat and when we where unhooking it out of the car to put into the rv the salesman explained we did not need carseat,seat belts,ect, in back. A LEO would need a warrent for the back. 2 front seats are treated like a car.

only the front driving area in a motorrhome is a motorvehicle.  the area behind the front seats is a house. This was explaind to me when we test drove ours, my son was in a car seat and when we where unhooking it out of the car to put into the rv the salesman explained we did not need carseat,seat belts,ect, in back. A LEO would need a warrent for the back. 2 front seats are treated like a car.

Interesting!  If that's true I'm buying an RV.

A travel trailer is an RV, as is a motorhome!

Then why am I able to write it off on my taxes as a second home? My point is that it can also be legally considered a domicile and that's what makes it a gray area.

Wikipedia--Recreational vehicles include the motorhome (class A, B, B+, and C), travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, toy hauler, popup trailer, and slide-in camper.

I understand that it is a vehicle, but my point is that it can ALSO be legally considered a domicile and that's what makes it a gray area. Yes, it has license plates but it is different than for example sleeping in the backseat of your car. Obviously the government recognizes this distinction since I can write off my RV like a second home but I could not write off my car like this even if I slept in it for 8 months. Lets face it, in this state we are all guilty until proven innocent when it comes to firearms - my point is that if you were to use a firearm to defend yourself at an intersection at 2pm you'd be on a lot shakier ground legally than if you did the same at 2am at a rest area or campsite.

Peace! I was just responding to tj462nj, that's all.

Lol, no problem. Def NOT looking for a pissing match, just want to see others adopt my loose interpretation of the law!!!