checko

Fixed front sight thoughts

i have this... and like it a lot.. 

the DPMS one looks like it has a big knob screw thing to mount it.. I dont typically like those

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/798004/daniel-defense-detachable-fixed-front-sight-ar-15-handguard-height-aluminum-matte

Thats handguard height.  I'm putting mine on a gas block thats sunken in. 

Gotcha. Is your current gas block held in by taper pins?

Another thought, get a flip up and leave it up...

To be honest I'm not sure.  I could swear that its hex screws.   

I have a flip up now and do leave it up.  Its the Midwest HK style.  Its not an issue, I just kind of like the fixed sights.    I think I'll switch out the HK style to the 'Murican style either way

thats what I would do.. 

Can I even do that with a pinned muzzle?  Without cutting off the brake that is.   I know the one thats on there can be cut off but how would the new fsb be put on?

It doesn't bother me enough to go through all that trouble. 

You can get a regular fixed sight and use a gas block riser.. The one I use on mine is made by Yankee Hill manufacturing.. It will bring the gas block rail up to same height as handguard

Thats handguard height.  I'm putting mine on a gas block thats sunken in.

Any reason why you are going with a fixed vs a flip up? You have the midwest and thats a good brand. I like the flip up because its less likely to snag on things. If I wanted a fixed front site I would replace the entire FSB so your fixed sight is rock solid. It's not really difficult to do

Can I even do that with a pinned muzzle?  Without cutting off the brake that is.   I know the one thats on there can be cut off but how would the new fsb be put on?

It doesn't bother me enough to go through all that trouble. 

ugh... if that is the case just keep the gas block flip up.. LOL 

Lol yeah that's what I mean. If it gets to the day where I want to change it to a middy or a 14.5 carbine that's all well and good. I'm not doing it just for a sight haha.

I don't have a real good reason. I just like the fixed more. Think its sturdier. Wanted a cheap way to replace it but still be a quality product.

OK edit...........Re-read post.

YHM-9495 is discontinued but may be available some where.  Was a fixed front site for GB.

Otherwise it looks like a same plane front sight with a gb spacer..

If I really wanted a fixed front sight, I would pice out a gun smith to remove the the brake & re pin a nice brake of my choosing. This way I could put on a "F" fsp. I hate the A2 which is on mine but I'm not going through all that work just to add a different brake since I already have a fsp.

If I really wanted a fixed front sight, I would pice out a gun smith to remove the the brake & re pin a nice brake of my choosing. This way I could put on a "F" fsp. I hate the A2 which is on mine but I'm not going through all that work just to add a different brake since I already have a fsp.

For that I would just buy a new barrel/comp and turn my gun into a mid length system.