tinman22

stack on QAS 450

According to Dicks in Union, only "safes that can be permanently attached to a building structure" are tax free. Their interpretation of this excludes pistol boxes and gun cabinets.

this box comes pre drilled and has mounting harware to perminently mount it, that should fit the bill.but personally for me its not worth the drive to chase down the $5. if I go there for something else I may try to re aquire my money.

According to Dicks in Union, only "safes that can be permanently attached to a building structure" are tax free. Their interpretation of this excludes pistol boxes and gun cabinets.

The cabinet I bought had predrilled holes and lag bolts with it, they still charged me tax on it.

tinman,hal, I'm not disagreeing with either of you, just letting you know that if you're expecting to get these items tax free from Dicks, you aren't going to be able to do so without a fight. Before I went on with buying the safe, I wanted to confirm the tax-free status with the sales associate, but he told me right off the bat that he had no idea. He then called a supervisor/manager who told me the above, and was specific on the exclusion of pistol boxes and cabinets. Now to me, this doesn't make sense since most every pistol box and gun cabinet I've seen has mounting holes, and I'd be surprised if the tax code went on as to specify a minimum wall thickness or locking mechanism. I assume the whole point of the tax free status is to encourage people to lock up their guns. But as soon as he confirmed that my particular purchase was tax free, I didn't feel like arguing about it.