rhesusmonkey91

Ruger sr9c or sw sd9?

I have seen this debate over many an internet forum but was unable to find one here on good ole njgunforum. So i pose to you all a question. I will be picking up my first handgun this week (permit expires on the 12th) . i had originally wanted a beretta M9 but with the limited time and funds i will sadly have to wait on that purchase.  I have gone to a few shops and browsed around my price range (350 to 400 dollars) and have fallen between two very nice pistols. The Ruger SR9c and The Smith and Wesson SD9. Im leaning towards the ruger personally, but it would be nice to get a chime in from anyone on here who has owned or shot one or both of these pistols. Heres some of the points i like about the guns.

RUGER

-Supposedly very reliable. Hearing stories of happy owners putting 3000 rounds through with out any FTF FTE or malfuntioning. 

-All black Steel Slide ( As you can tell from my desire for the M9 i love all black guns)

- External thumb safety, although it is somewhat small

-Magazine disconnect safety. For many this is a negative, but i enjoy the idea of a "key-lock" safety, cant fire the round without the Key in place.

-10+1 round capacity, should the powers that be decide allowing citizens only 10 rounds will make a safer world as they have in many other states.

-basic but reliable sights. 

-overall this gun just feels and from what ive heard shoots amazingly

The Smith

-Decent trigger break and majorly improved trigger from sigma line. 

-Front night sight. 

Standard Rail system 

-Easy breakdown

-Same 10+1 Capacity as ruger

this gun is praised for its ergonomics, and felt very comfy in my hand

-Exchangable sights ( for those unfamiliar with the SD series its the same sight system as the MP line so all standard MP sights will fit in)

The lack of safetys is the one thing that REALLY bothers me in this gun

both are the same price so its not a money issue so please any advice that may aid in my decision would be apreciated

I bought the SD9 as a teaching tool for students.....  Installed the APEX spring kit to bring it down to a nice 5.5lb trigger.   Honestly, for the money..... awesome gun. Anyone on a budget that doesnt consider this piece is missing out on a great buy....  Consider it a No Frills M&P......  

I hope what I say doesn't sound too harsh. The initial cost of a gun is probably the smallest expense in this sport. A used Beretta can be had for $100-$125 more than your current price range. A box of 9mm is nearly $20 these days unless you buy in bulk. For the cost of 5 boxes of ammo you are going to not get the gun you really want?  Does your town extend permits? Can you throw $100-150 on a credit card and promise to pay it off in the next month? If you have the patience to wait as long as you did already for your town to give you permits, you can buy your dream gun and wait a little longer to afford ammo to shoot it. Settling for something else makes no sense to me when you are a nearly inconsequential amount away from what you really want. 

Just saying..,

Rent both, fire both and purchase the one that you shoot better with. I agree with Lunker, don't rush to purchase something b/c yiur permit is expiring. How long have you lived withoutbowning a gun? Get the extension for your permit and purchse the gun you truely want.

While you are waiting, ask if anyone who owns one of the guns you are considering wouldn't mind meeting you at a range and allowing you to run a few rounds through their's. Or rent them from a range

The permit unfouranately was already extended. It was actually kind of a messed up situation. The permit was dated and approved march 12th, expiring july 12th but i didnt actually get it until the 21st of june because they sat on the chiefs desk for months. They gave me no problem extending it, but unfourtanately money got tight. ( in march i had had the money saved up but then got injured in june and missed alot of work and had to use that money including the 400 i had put down on an M9 to pay my rent).  I really dont want to a) not be able to enjoy shooting a pistol i own for  god only knows how long and b i dont want to have to go through the registration proscess all over again. ive slowly recovered from my financial situation, but i have till the 11th. Id rather get a gun in my hand now, and later on get the M9, as i plan on getting more than just one obviously. ( for the record lunker what you said was not harsh at all and i appreciate all advice given to me) =) also i dont find either of these guns too be of low quality and would definitely enjoy owning either of them. Luckily, the store im planning on buying from is right next to gun for hires woodland park range so i could probably rent them both right before going and picking one up. Ahh convenience. Oh and the standard SD line does come with a tritium front sight and two dot white rear sight like the MP. The VE model has a little more basic front sight and a somewhat heavier trigger (Ive tried both side by side with snap caps) which is an easy fix with the apex trigger or any trigger kit

Sorry im rambling and trying to respond to everyone at once. 

The permit unfouranately was already extended. It was actually kind of a messed up situation. The permit was dated and approved march 12th, expiring july 12th but i didnt actually get it until the 21st of june because they sat on the chiefs desk for months. They gave me no problem extending it, but unfourtanately money got tight. ( in march i had had the money saved up but then got injured in june and missed alot of work and had to use that money including the 400 i had put down on an M9 to pay my rent).  I really dont want to a) not be able to enjoy shooting a pistol i own for  god only knows how long and b i dont want to have to go through the registration proscess all over again. ive slowly recovered from my financial situation, but i have till the 11th. Id rather get a gun in my hand now, and later on get the M9, as i plan on getting more than just one obviously. ( for the record lunker what you said was not harsh at all and i appreciate all advice given to me) =) also i dont find either of these guns too be of low quality and would definitely enjoy owning either of them. Luckily, the store im planning on buying from is right next to gun for hires woodland park range so i could probably rent them both right before going and picking one up. Ahh convenience. Oh and the standard SD line does come with a tritium front sight and two dot white rear sight like the MP. The VE model has a little more basic front sight and a somewhat heavier trigger (Ive tried both side by side with snap caps) which is an easy fix with the apex trigger or any trigger kit

Sorry im rambling and trying to respond to everyone at once. 

No worries. While I know that I have a tough time taking my own advice on waiting (delayed gratification is not my strong suit), I also know that holding out for the one I want is always the right move for me. I have sold far too many guns thinking I was "OK" with the one I got, and ended up thinking the grass was greener elsewhere. Sometimes it was, sometimes not.

If you had another 9mm pistol already, I think my recommendation would be easier to swallow. Since you don't, I understand wanting to have something to shoot now.

My advice to you is pay a decent price for a used gun and buy from a private individual. You won't have to pay the additional fees that come with buying from a dealer, and you can leverage that to get a better gun. For example, you might be able to pickup a used Glock, M&P, Beretta, XD. And, if you buy a used gun at a decent price, you will be able to sell it for darn near what you paid for it if you choose to get something else that suits you, better. Buying new, you will be selling at a loss if you realize your initial choice wasn't right for you. And, if you get a used one, you might get upgrades/additions thrown in. it wasn't long ago that you could find a used Glock for $400-$450, or if you like the M9, maybe a Taurus 92, used. Out of your choices, try before you buy and see what you like the most. With SD9VE you can upgrade with M&P sights. Weaknesses are that it has a long trigger pull, needs Apex upgrade (Do you want to mess with your self defense gun?), and magazines are expensive. With the Ruger, magazines are expensive as well, and for most the external safety is a deal breaker. The both come from a company with good customer service. The Ruger would be slightly smaller. Better for concealment. The Smith might be better suited for NJs magazine capacities. And, there are prob. more holsters available for the Ruger.