JoeTK37

Let the Build Begin!!!!

After getting the "firearms" bug late last year, FID and permits coming through early this year, I've slowly built a collection of pistols and .22 rifles.  I love building just about anything, so the prospect of building an AR was intriguing.  I'm a paper puncher at the range and thats about it, at least for now.  So I set out to build a basic and CHEAP first AR that I can play around with as I go.  The plan is to pick up pieces every few weeks until I've got a complete rifle.  Ideally I'd love a sub MOA range gun, but we'll see what happens.  

So far:

ATI Stripped Poly Lower(say what you want, its cheap, and I'm actually surprised by the quality of the molding)

PSA Premium Classic LPK

PICT1137_zps5e33960a.jpg

PICT1135_zps3f8b435a.jpg

PICT1134_zpse34ec2ab.jpg

PICT1136_zpse68dfb50.jpg

Updates and pictures to follow as I go.

I had seen that ATI when I was searching for a lower for my own build. And yes, it's cheap (and that's what actually drew me to it in the first place). But it's also plastic, and that raised a red flag for me.

Yes, Glock is also plastic, but it's all Glock.

The AR platform on the other hand is modular, so that lower has to fit with other elements of the rifle (and a mag).

So while you might be surprised by the quality of the molding right now, I would hope that you'll still feel the same way after you attempt to marry that lower with other AR parts.

I'll be curious to hear from others here who have built and fitted and fired (and banged around) a poly lower. Therefore I'll restrict my comments to my own particular concerns about the plastic/modular aspect - and I won't pretend to know anything beyond my own particular uncertaintly about those aspects. 

That said... I loved building my AR, so I hope that you'll enjoy the experience as well :)

Ok if ANYONE is intimidated by the prospect of building their own AR, or at least lower, get over it.  It really is the most straight forward assembly I've seen.  Tons of information here, YouTube and 500 billion other places on the web.  I was expecting the springs to be easily confused, but given the way everything fits together thats a pretty tough feat.  

The complete lower took less than 1/2hr to assemble and that included digging through the tool box to find an allen wrench long enough for the grip screw and running to the grill to check on lunch(pics to follow):

PICT1130_zpsb0f0c3ed.jpg

PICT1131_zpsa4f29bfa.jpg

And the best part.  Two of these cost more than my lower and they're worth every penny :)

steak_zps23fae992.jpg

Still tracking down an upper that keeps me in my price range.  Thats proving to be the tough part, I'm trying to avoid purchasing online if I don't have to.

UPDATE 10/3/13

The upper came this week, basic PSA upper, didn't get to take pictures yet, but I dropped it off at OSA to have the comp pinned and welded.

In the meantime slowly picking up parts here and there for number 2:)  

The first build is budget, cheap lower, cheap upper, cheap optic, just for fun, the second will be a long range, more premium build.  As of now I just have the stock and AFG for it, but the upper won't be too far behind.  Going to have to pick up another lower soon.

Number 2 will be FDE

PICT1130_zpsb403f903.jpg

PICT1132_zpsecf5e854.jpg

FDE Rifle will run on a mid length upper in the near future, not sure what to do with the Lower yet, but OSA had a bunch of different ones in stock tonight so I may grab one this weekend.

PICT1131_zps5ff968d9.jpg

And its DONE!!!!!!

ATI Poly Lower

PSA Premium lower build kit

PSA Premium 16" Upper

1/7" Carbine Length

Midwest industries 12" SS Gen 2 Floating rail

Magpul MBUS

Vortex Sparc

Magpul AFG2

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 CH

Levang Linear Comp(big props to OSA on the weld, can't even tell its been touched)

Pretty bare bones and pretty cheap, but I'm really happy with the way it came out.  Just have to add a sling at this point.  The next one will kick it up a notch.

Fully loaded weight comes in at 6.5lbs.  Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it does.

PICT1131_zpsb9cee4d4.jpg

PICT1136_zps5e56fd10.jpg

PICT1132_zps304f9114.jpg

PICT1134_zps8f73aa27.jpg

PICT1130_zpsa1d61c46.jpg

I'll be curious to hear from others here who have built and fitted and fired (and banged around) a poly lower. Therefore I'll restrict my comments to my own particular concerns about the plastic/modular aspect - and I won't pretend to know anything beyond my own particular uncertaintly about those aspects. 

I've built a few Polymer NFA lowers to complete rifles for myself as well as helped a few friends build similar rifles. I can tell you first hand that the NFA lowers are very nice. I have not had any problems refitting RRA or Spikes LPK's in to them and the fit to Forged uppers are nice and snug even after multiple removals and installs.  Every once in a while i have to ream the receiver pin holes with a rat tail file to have them line up on an upper (on a new build). I have used various stocks and buffer tubes and have not had any issues with fitment or functionality. 

Mags: I have tried Gen 2 and 3 pmags with no issues, from time to time a TAPCO mag will hang and not drop free. 

I know that on my "loaner" NFA AR build i have over 1000 rounds though her and she has had no issues.  A friend who I helped do a build with has over 3000 rounds on his and has only had a few FTE's but zero issues with the lower.

Overall i've had my hands on about 7 NFA builds (between my own and ones i helped friends with) and none of them had any issues.

NOW, with that said, I still view NFA or any Polymer lower build as an Entry level to low mid level AR.  I would not use it as a Service rifle or if you plan on it being a "Hard Use" weapon.... for instance, don't use your polymer lower build to Smash open a door or window repeatedly and expect it to hold up or not have some issues down the road.   But if you are looking for a "back up" or a loaner or a "FIRST BUILD AR" for yourself, friend or family member.. The NFA lower option is a pretty good one. I know you can get a Complete NFA Polymer Lower (lower, LPK, Buffer, Buffer tube and Stock installed) from one of our forum sponsors for like $150 + NICS. buy a complete upper for say $500 and you have a pretty nice rifle for around $650+/-.... when doing a budget build that's hard to turn down.

anyway, that's my $.02 on my experience with the NFA Polymer lowers.

Here is the loaner NFA AR build i was talking about above:

150651856.jpg

And its DONE!!!!!!

ATI Poly Lower

PSA Premium lower build kit

PSA Premium 16" Upper

1/7" Carbine Length

Midwest industries 12" SS Gen 2 Floating rail

Magpul MBUS

Vortex Sparc

Magpul AFG2

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 CH

Levang Linear Comp(big props to OSA on the weld, can't even tell its been touched)

Pretty bare bones and pretty cheap, but I'm really happy with the way it came out.  Just have to add a sling at this point.  The next one will kick it up a notch.

Fully loaded weight comes in at 6.5lbs.  Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it does.

PICT1131_zpsb9cee4d4.jpg

PICT1136_zps5e56fd10.jpg

PICT1132_zps304f9114.jpg

PICT1134_zps8f73aa27.jpg

PICT1130_zpsa1d61c46.jpg

Nice build! Great looking rifle!

Thanks Tap.

I'm impressed by the fit of the poly lower with the upper.  No play, no rattles.  I'm not going to be doing pull ups on my rifle, but for a somewhat light build that I wanted to keep cheap its perfect.  And if it doesn't last who cares, I'll just pick up a "real" lower then.  

Might hit the shop this evening to grab a sling if anyone has any recommendations.