dwamp2006

illegal suppressors on ebay?

It was my understanding, while not illegal in the free states, they still have to be registered with the atf and a tax stamp paid for. The seller does a decent job by describing them otherwise but people know what they are used for. The thing in question is an adapter for an oil filter to be attached to the end of a gun, which makes it a suppressor, for a limited time. what are your thoughts? are these illegal to own? 

Link the sellers page....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=manufab&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xoil+filter&_nkw=oil+filter&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They are sold as Solvent Trap adapters. The intent is that you attach the filter

to catch the cleaning solvent as you are cleaning the barrel (Their story, not mine).

The piece you see on Ebay (the adapter) in itself is not illegal in any way - it's what 

you do with it that could get you in trouble.

These are for sale at almost every gun show, they have been around for a while.......

The actual utility of this is questionable. Even if you possessed one legally as a NFA item what is it good for? The oil filter blocks the sights of just about every gun. Use it for assassinations?

Well, I would guess that it does do what it claims; in that it will prevent solvents,etc.. from getting all over the place. I could actually see this being useful if the only place you have, to clean your guns, is some place where the potential spillage of dirty solvents is very undesirable, such as on your dining room table. Alternatively, you could replace the oil filter with a plug/cap. This would allow you to fill and "soak" the barrel, to remove stubborn deposits. So, yes I think there is a "legitimate" use for it.

If the legality/illegality of it is based on your intent, then I think they would have a very hard time making a case against you, as long as you're not stupid about it. Having oil filters with bullet holes in the end sitting in your garbage can would be really dumb. Telling anyone, even jokingly, that you could use it a suppressor, would also be stupid. Using it as "intended", to trap solvents, in view of a witness or two, on a couple of occasions, would help to establish that your demonstrated intent is not to use it as a suppressor mount.

Now, when the SHTF, or the zombie's start attacking, then who cares about the NFA, GCA, ATF, NJSP, ABC or XYZ. None of that will matter, and then you can salvage a cheap suppressor from hundreds, if not thousands of abandoned auto parts store, or even Wal-Marts.

As for blocking the sites, there are different shapes/sizes of oil filters. There are also thread adapters that could adapt this things threads to fit a skinnier filter. Also, while I see it easily obstructing the iron sights, wouldn't a scope,mounted on rail, sit above it?