JimmyAGR

2 piece free float drop in rails

I am looking to replace my GI style hand guards on a Noveske mid length with a drop in free float rail system.  I want to keep the front sight post as is. Does anyone have any experience with either the Daniel Defense Omega https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail-9-0-mid-length.html or the Midwest Industries Gen2 http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422 free float systems? I know DD products are great, but it is almost twice the price of the MI product. 

Thanks,

Jimmy

Does you rifle have a Delta ring set-up?

If so - you would need to remove the Delta ring

to in stall the free float system......

If your planing on keeping the Delta set-up look at the Clearance items 

on MWI web site - they have a Drop in Quad rail that might work for you........

If you're stripping it down to the factory barrel nut, I'd take a hard look at Fortis.  They're lighter and integrate the new Key-Mod system while still offering a continuous 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock pic rails.  At 3 and 9 o'clock, there are sections of pic rail at the front of the rail but Key-Mod the rest of the way down.  Four limited rotation QD sockets, two on each side, one at the front and one at the rear plus anti-rotation tabs.  And the 12" can be had for under $200.

JT,  yes the rifle has a delta ring, so I would have to cut it off for the MI rail, the DD Omega does not require cutting the delta ring it mounts around it, the Omega X requires taking of the delta and FSB also the break so that is out. Cutting the delta ring in not a problem so either would work.

Ty, is the Fortis rail a two piece design, I couldn't tell from their website. Also by stripping it down to the barrel nut I assume you mean cutting the delta ring and spring, correct? 

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. 

If you are going to take out cutting tools, cut off the front sight/gas block and get a new two piece one to replace it. Then you can remove everything over the muzzle and you have all the options you want when it comes to handguards, because barrel nut should fit over the any non-absurd muzzle device.

If you are going to take out cutting tools, cut off the front sight/gas block and get a new two piece one to replace it. Then you can remove everything over the muzzle and you have all the options you want when it comes to handguards, because barrel nut should fit over the any non-absurd muzzle device.

Vlad, I thought they would also, but most that I researched say that you have to remove the muzzle device also. I can't figure out why as most are just slightly larger then barrel diameter. This rifle has a PWS FSC556 so not absurd by any means. I would hate to spend a few hundred to find out the hard way though.

Yeah I don't see why that would be an issue. There are basically 3 things that fit over the barrel:

1) Barrel nut. This is pretty sizable, it will fit over anything but the "tank break" type comps

2) hand guard itself, this is even bigger

3) Gas block and that is your tricky one because it won't (unless you have a .750 diameter comp like Nordic Tactical). If you go to a two piece gas block this all goes away.

There might be some bits like the front hand guard retaining parts but you can cut those off as you won't need them once you go free float. I'd say pick a slim low profile gas block and run an extended hand guard over it. The YHM-9378 has block would work.

Have you looked at the Troy MRF free float rails they are a 2 piece rail that use the original barrel nut. The only thing you would need to remove is the Delta ring pack and the the front handguard retainer...you wouldn't have to remove the FSB or the muzzle brake. Nice and solid doesn't move I've used 2 of them on my own builds.....hope this helps. Good luck....but the way I did look at the MI rails but the side by side the Troy was a lot nicer

Have you looked at the Troy MRF free float rails they are a 2 piece rail that use the original barrel nut. The only thing you would need to remove is the Delta ring pack and the the front handguard retainer...you wouldn't have to remove the FSB or the muzzle brake. Nice and solid doesn't move I've used 2 of them on my own builds.....hope this helps. Good luck....but the way I did look at the MI rails but the side by side the Troy was a lot nicer

The Troy looks nice but are they heavier then the MI that you compared them to? 

Thanks I was trying to keep the FSB intact, but the more I look at all the options I may just strip everything off and start from scratch. This way I won't be hampered by the FSB as long as it can fit over the muzzle break. 

JT,  yes the rifle has a delta ring, so I would have to cut it off for the MI rail, the DD Omega does not require cutting the delta ring it mounts around it, the Omega X requires taking of the delta and FSB also the break so that is out. Cutting the delta ring in not a problem so either would work.

Ty, is the Fortis rail a two piece design, I couldn't tell from their website. Also by stripping it down to the barrel nut I assume you mean cutting the delta ring and spring, correct? 

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. 

Yep, it's a two piece design.  One piece is 98% of the mass then a dovetailed smaller section on the underside is used to clamp it to the barrel nut.  You don't need to cut the delta ring assembly off if you can remove the barrel nut.

The DD Omega is a great value and true free float rail that requires no modification of the host weapon. They go on right over the delta ring without removing the FSB or muzzle device and take about 10 minutes to install. They are rock solid and perform very well.

I have a 7" on my primary work gun that gets abused regularly and has had no shift of zero. The other is a 9" rail on a SPR I built. No shift of zero regardless of how hard I crank down on my sling or brave on hard cover.

I recommend them without hesitation, especially to folks that have to pin and weld muzzle devices in order to avoid SBR or other legal issues. It is the best choice that I have found.