Sign in to follow this  
jm3isme

Over and under- shotgun/rifle combo

I think my next purchase will be a rifle/shotgun over and under. So with that being said, i'm going to start doing my research. But I want to hear about them, Does anyone own one?

If so, gimme details... Brand, Model, gauge/caliber, hammer type, how it shoots, pros and cons etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The old Savage 24's  were pretty cool, not without their quirks at times, but came in a wide variety of configurations. They could be had in combinations from .22/.410 all the way up to a .30-30/12 ga. Popular gun in the backwoods areas where a combo gun like this would be legal to hunt with, and I see them for sale all the time in those little obscure gun shop's upstate when I travel north. They are a used proposition these days and becoming harder to find, and getting costlier by the day.

Good website to learn about all the configurations.

http://www.savage24.com/

A few months ago I was watching a young kid shoot trap with one - i think it was a Rossi.  What i thought was pretty cool was watching the ejector kick the shells out of the barrel - yes the little thing had an ejector!  Every time he opened the action it threw the empties about 3 feet straight over his head.  

Seemed to be a nice gun, for not a lot of money

Yeah I've always heard of them, never really had a use for it. But my finances family owns a 1500 acre farm in fl. So I think it would be great for when we go down there.

I'd really like to get the Remington spr 94 but they discontinued it in 2008. And used ones are far n few between compared to the other makes n models of combo guns.

As for NJ, I would assume it would be legal for hunting as long as the hunter doesn't possess any cartridges for the rifle barrel???

Yeah I've always heard of them, never really had a use for it. But my finances family owns a 1500 acre farm in fl. So I think it would be great for when we go down there.

I'd really like to get the Remington spr 94 but they discontinued it in 2008. And used ones are far n few between compared to the other makes n models of combo guns.

As for NJ, I would assume it would be legal for hunting as long as the hunter doesn't possess any cartridges for the rifle barrel???

No, not during small or big game season. You would be pressing the discretionary powers of the local C.O. Last I checked, just using an illegal firearm is a $124 fine.

Come the upcoming fox/coyote season, a combo .22 Mag./12ga. or 20 ga. loaded with slug or #4 buckshot in the shotgun barrel would be pretty unique and perfectly legal. Getting the two barrels to regulate to the sights has always been the biggest issue with these guns.

The Valmet's are the nicest I've seen as far as quality, but they don't come cheap.