302w

One realization I've made

Yes, of course I see the investment I'm making in myself. Takes a lot of planning to spend 10 years of your life earning a degree, and I didn't make the decision lightly - but the degree/research experience is necessary for what I want to spend my life doing.

I'm not whining or complaining about any of this, and if you some of you older guys think I am, then you're mistaken. All I said was that it's hard work - which it is. Very difficult material, long assignments to figure out, sleep deprivation to get it all done, 20 hrs/week of a teaching commitment, plus research responsibilities. I work more than fulltime for classes, teaching, and research, and I have very little free time... but I have wanted a physics PhD since I was a kid (yes, I was the geek who got bullied on the playground) so it's worth it to me.

Again, I don't mind any of this and I'm not "whining or complaining" about anything. I just don't like the way certain posters are trivializing the work I'm doing simply because of the age I'm doing it at. If you're going to sit there and tell me that it's not hard, then you don't know what you're talking about: you try earning a Physics PhD

Anyway, here's what I was trying to say before:

Not all of us 22 year olds are dumbasses who study basket-weaving in college and then whine about not being able to get a job with a useless degree. Some of us work hard, learn useful things, and pay our own way 1,000 miles from home.

That's all I was trying to say before.