gfl216

The Best Overall Home Defense Pump Shotgun?

as already stated I prefer the safety location on the Mossberg 500. I grew up huntin rabbits & pheasant with a 500 so im quicker with that than I am with my 870. and If I were dedicate a shotgun for HOME defense it would be a 20 gauge. smaller framed gun, for me is quicker handling. #2 or #3 20ga buckshot is badazz on targets inside 50'. recoil would be less so that would be a plus as well. Nick

I have to agree with the gens ... the best shotgun is the one in ur hands :) after many many range sessions and practice runs, of course.

but if we have to talk names >>> Remi is in my closet :)

I'm hoping to save up for a Benelli semi one day ... one day. but for now "made in USA" pump action classic is more than enough.

Great gun. I've never seen one with shorter than a 26 inch barrel though.

A gunsmith can fix that, as long as its within legal limits, both overall length and barrel length... Although I don't know if I could do it if it was mint...

I love that the ejection is on the bottom... does not cross your line of sight when ejecting, esp. if you are left-handed. Also, it allows you to reload a shell in it easily from the bottom, and the action as very smooth...

Or, you could get a new one, but they are a bit too pricy.... I'd rather have a couple of used Mossbergs, and I like the safety on the tang of the 500. But give me a deal on an Ithaca and I'll take it.

http://www.ithacagun.com/defense37s.html

Great gun. I've never seen one with shorter than a 26 inch barrel though.

The Ithaca M37 Deerslayer's in 12, 16 & 20 ga. came with 20" or 26" bbls. back in their smoothbore days. The police versions were 18.5" and 20". The short 20" bbl. coupled with Ithaca's shorter receiver makes for a handy package that's only 39.5" long.