RecessedFilter

Private Mosin sale - any suggestions?

So I've heard of private collectors having informal estate gun sales where they display X amount of guns and they auction them or whatever.

In catching up with a friend of mine, he mentioned something along the lines of one of these happening and it was a mil-surp collector. He told me that there are a small handful of people invited to this thing. As per the shit-eating grin on my face as we talked about it and teased me by informing me of some of the goodies this guy has. Somehow, somewhere, some..way, the planets and stars of every galaxy aligned for me and I was now invited to it. :D

With that said, any suggestions on what to look for? I love Mosin's and have a nice collection but I am very picky with additions. I have a decent knowledge on them but I know Usnmars and MosinRob can probably add some info here.

Carbines are my favorite and are on the top of my list - not just your typical M44's but more so matching T53's which are rare, and 91/59's. Also anything Finnish (M91's, M39',s M27's, etc), double/triple dated, and I have a liking for 'cool-looking' stocks even if the rifle itself isn't anything special.

Oh, and this guy has over 150 Mosin's. Good god, I came just saying that. So there has to be a crap ton of rare things in there.

you can have all the knowledge in the world on the mosin ! but the price you pay is what matters. Anything with a SA is a keeper but not all finn guns have a SA some will have just the D stamp. MO guns will sell a little higher then a plain 91/30 but keep in mind they really haven't figured out that that means, and a triple date will fetch more, so pick wisely. Look for dragoons they will have the ladder rear site and blade front site , people confuse these with m91s but the dragoon is the same length as a 91/30 and worth more.

If your lost pick the early dates and get them cheep and you will be a winner .

When i started collecting them and had little knowledge I grabbed what ever had a strange marking ,, some times it payed off .

No import marks usually means a early import or maybe a bring back .

get over on 7.62x54 site and read up, maybe print out some markings, because when you get to see the guns you will go blank and forget most of what you read 

Haha you guys crack me up! If I could, I'd saw screw it and bring the whole forum along!

I've had 7.62x54r.net bookmarked for years and still go back to the website to read and whatnot, but the site has not really been updated in years so I usually lurk in their 'elite' forum. 54R.net forum members will get the sarcasm of that, or banned members at least. Sarcasm aside, they have something there that not many forums have I do have to admit.

And I didn't even think about printing out the rarity list! Thanks for the reminder, Petros.

I'm gonna research Dragoons and ex-D's, Junkmanted, I still have yet to add any into my collection. 

A pre-1898 rifle would be awesome to bring home but with the date on the tang, I can't swing that...unless I pick up something and it randomly turns out to be one.

Any pre-Communist M1891 is pretty damn rare and a good buy IMO. Look for Sestroryetsk rifles as well. That factory was shut down in 1917-8, so those are rare.

Pretty much everything rare you can find info on at 7,62x54r.net

So where's my invite hmm? I would love to add to my collection! I want a Chatellerault!