MartyZ

Prepping for Natural disaster vs. man made dissaster

Ok, do you folks prep differently for a natural disaster vs a man made disaster?

During a natural disaster, such as Sandy, people needed clean water, electricity, food, etc...

However, in a situation of a man made disaster, such as social unrest, terrorist attack, cyber attack, etc...  We are NOT talking  zombie apocalypse, we are talking realistic scenarios.  Because you know that if a cyber attack occurs and the masses can't get to twitter, they will riot in the streets.  How would you prep for this type of situation?

I think the basic's remain the same; food water and shelter. 

I also think in both cases one could expect rioting, violance and criminal activity. 

My prepeations are going to be more universally geared. Water collection, cleaning and storage; food storage and peperation; the ability to heat my home in a power failure and ways to secue my home fom wind/debris and people with simple tools. 

I think civil unrest is a possibility in either scenario. The aftermath of a natural disaster may be civil unrest. Now an "emergency" vs. a "disaster" may be different. An emergency is the electric being down for a few days to a week, or being snowed in by a storm etc. A disaster is where there is a major disruption of communications, utilities, food, water, etc. (many things being impacted at once).

It is next to impossible to prepare for every eventuality. What I do, is try and prepare for the most likely situation in my local area. The four things you will probably need the most... clean water, food, shelter, and security.

As far as a man made disaster... I'm thinking of an economic meltdown, stock market crash, and so on. Terrorist attack or Cyber attack I'm not as worried about. I could be indirectly affected through a societal or economic panic but chances are low that I would be harmed by the attack itself.

I think the basic's remain the same; food water and shelter. 

I also think in both cases one could expect rioting, violance and criminal activity. 

My prepeations are going to be more universally geared. Water collection, cleaning and storage; food storage and peperation; the ability to heat my home in a power failure and ways to secue my home fom wind/debris and people with simple tools. 

I'm with that...The basics!

I've been a long time 'prepper'. Being stationed in Alaska and hanging out with Mormon's who have been truly dialed into preparedness really opened my eyes and expanded my knowledge. From a Business Continuity Planning perspective, a crisis doesn't matter if it is natural or man made. Same applies to personal planning. A pandemic, civil unrest, weather or a massive supply chain disruption will encounter many of the same challenges as time goes on. The initial reaction might be different, but as days turn into weeks or months it will all become the same. Survival.