Sign in to follow this  
Turbotezza

Propane for home cooking

I just had a propane line installed from a connection outside the house to my counter.  I will be using the small portable BBQ type tanks I want to have two located outside, using one as a spare. Both in and outdoor connectors are the type with a 1/4 turn valve on them

I have a burner that comes with a regulator, but I don't know what else to buy to make it work. Any advice?

Since it sounds like you're using 20-pounders for tanks, do you also want an emergency heater or lighting that's propane powered?  Simple Coleman stuff works good in a pinch and you can camp with it.  You also might want to look at a "Tree" to connect a 20# cylinder to several things at once.  Can be a real life-saver in a storm and only costs around $20.

Hope this helps.

Also thought of something else:  If you're a regular customer of a Propane Dealer and will use Propane to cook with you might get the Propane Co. to hook it all up for little or nuthin', since you're buying all of the gas from them....doesn't hurt to ask!

Dave

I would stay away from leased tanks from the propane co. It gives them license to charge whatever they want since they own the tank and you can't fill it from any supplier. 

That said, I have found that home delivery for propane is much more expensive for smaller tanks. They charge something like $5-$8 per gallon delivered. With the 500 gallon tank I pay around $2-$3 per gallon. 

One route I suppose you could go is to get a couple of 100lb DOT tanks and get it filled at the local propane supplier. I don't know how it would hook in to your house but if you don't use a lot of propane it could work. 

I have a boiler, water heater, range/oven and a clothes dryer that all run on propane. 

One route I suppose you could go is to get a couple of 100lb DOT tanks and get it filled at the local propane supplier. I don't know how it would hook in to your house but if you don't use a lot of propane it could work. 

I have a boiler, water heater, range/oven and a clothes dryer that all run on propane. 

If you go that route, you go tank(valve)--regulator--line--drip leg--valve---appliance. 

I'm only going to use it for cooking and nothing else.

Do I need to put a regulator on the tank itself? Of just one near the burner?

Didn't think about the insulation around the burner, will need to check up on the local regs for that.

I won't use enough for a leased tank, so I'll probably get mine filled up at a gas station which does refills.

I had a propane stove/oven at a place I rented a long time ago.  It's good stuff.  It burns a bit hotter than NG so be careful with that.  I burned more than one dinner until I got used to it.  20# tanks do not last very long, see if you can buy a couple of 100# tanks off of Craig's list or wherever.  The tanks are not terribly heavy and easy enough to move around with a hand truck.  If you bring the tanks to a filling station it will be substantially cheaper than having the fuel delivered. .

I'm only going to use it for cooking and nothing else.

Do I need to put a regulator on the tank itself? Of just one near the burner?

Didn't think about the insulation around the burner, will need to check up on the local regs for that.

I won't use enough for a leased tank, so I'll probably get mine filled up at a gas station which does refills.

What kind of burner is it?  It's kinda strange to pipe in only one propane burner.  Do you have an electric stove?

rightisright, on 15 Nov 2013 - 4:47 PM, said:

What kind of burner is it?  It's kinda strange to pipe in only one propane burner.  Do you have an electric stove?

I got one of those single 4 ring burners so I can get the flames to heat the sides of my wok.