RobertJames

Muzzle brake, non-threaded barrel

I'm pretty sure this is GTG, just need verification.  I want to add this muzzle brake to my Mini-14.  The barrel is not threaded, so I wouldn't need to install it permanently, correct?  The rifle is in stock configuration.  No pistol grip, detachable mag is the only "evil feature".  TIA.

The d says it's a Muzzle break, but the description says it reduces flash which 

would be considered a flash hider.

Problem is you cant see the front of the muzzle to see if it's baffled or not?

In short - you can add a muzzle break to the rifle, but if you have one evil feature

from the list the FH would be prohibited because it would make it two evil features.

A Flash Hider in itself is not illegal in NJ as long as it is not combined with another

evil feature; this would constitute an Assault Weapon.

Does the gun have a pistol grip adjustable stock or anything like that?

The rifle in question has none of the above.  It's simply a semi-auto with a removable magazine.  I would have thought that it would be fine, but I'm getting conflicting answers.  The brake in question slips over the muzzle and is secured by a roll pin.  I simply was curious if I should tack the roll pin in place to make it non-removable.

The d says it's a Muzzle break, but the description says it reduces flash which 

would be considered a flash hider.

Problem is you cant see the front of the muzzle to see if it's baffled or not?

In short - you can add a muzzle break to the rifle, but if you have one evil feature

from the list the FH would be prohibited because it would make it two evil features.

A Flash Hider in itself is not illegal in NJ as long as it is not combined with another

evil feature; this would constitute an Assault Weapon.

I'm confused... I understood it to be 2 evil features permitted in nj on semi auto rifles....as in an ar having a pistol grip and detachable mag has 2 therefore no flash hider bayonet lug etc.... But if a rifle with a standard Monte Carlo style stock only has a detachable mag ... Leaves opening for another evil feature.... Is this incorrect?

Ok... Here is your answer....

And the answer is ALWAYS the same...

If it is semi auto... And has a detachable mag...

It is ALLOWED ONE "evil feature"....

The gun in question can have a removable flash hider / muzzle device since no other features are on the gun...

Good to go...

I'm confused... I understood it to be 2 evil features permitted in nj on semi auto rifles....as in an ar having a pistol grip and detachable mag has 2 therefore no flash hider bayonet lug etc.... But if a rifle with a standard Monte Carlo style stock only has a detachable mag ... Leaves opening for another evil feature.... Is this incorrect?

Detachable mag is NOT an evil feature it is a qualifier...

the law say

IF

Semi auto AND detachable mag

THEN

Evil features game applies

But the mag itself is not a feature...

Detachable mag is NOT an evil feature it is a qualifier...

the law say

IF

Semi auto AND detachable mag

THEN

Evil features game applies

But the mag itself is not a feature...

I got you ..thanks for the clarification.... But then if mag is not evil feature and only a qualifier... Could the op be good to go being absent of any other evil features in using the fh he asked about?

I got you ..thanks for the clarification.... But then if mag is not evil feature and only a qualifier... Could the op be good to go being absent of any other evil features in using the fh he asked about?

Yes the law is literal as it is written...

He has a semi auto... With detachable mag...

He is allowed ONE evil feature...

Which in this case can be a flash hider....

Thank you, that's what I thought.

It's ironic/sad that the guy from PA knows more about NJ law than I do.

I lived in NJ my whole life... I'm not a lawyer or even close to one... But I read the law up and down a million times... And have no problem helping others with my understanding of the law...