Sign in to follow this  
hiker88

Using engine oil as case lube

I was looking to make a home brewed case lube using lanolin and isopropyl alcohol and came across this youtube video.

Is engine oil okay to use for case lube? I run my brass 9mm and 40 through a Lee U sizing die to remove bulges.

http://youtu.be/THOL_S7Hngs?t=4m22s

I dont think I would try motor oil.  It is proabably an excelent case lube.  The problem lies in getting it off the brass.  Oil is bad for primers and powder.  most case lubes are water soluble and will come off real easy in a tumbler or by just simply wiping it off.  Sometimes you just have to stick with what works.  I use Hornady one shot and RCBS case lube #2 and sometimes RCBS case slick when I can find it.  I know it costs more than alcohol and lanolin or motor oil but case lube is not something you use by the gallon.  A little bit goes a long way.

Ken

Engine oil will work but has those issues NJKen speaks of. What I have used as an expedient is STP oil treatment. It still has those oil issues but being more viscous clings to the case better.

I usually use LEE waterbase lube. I wash the cases after sizing, let dry, and then a short tumble if required.

I'm currently using Lyman qwik case lube but I'm intrigued with other possible options. Lanolin and isopropyl alcohol appear to be the main ingredients of commercial case lube like Dillon and can be formulated at fraction of the cost. 

As for synthetic motor oil, I'm guessing if used in very small quantities on a lube pad, it might work. I'll try it on a small sample batch of brass that I'm reloading tonight.

I'm currently using Lyman qwik case lube but I'm intrigued with other possible options. Lanolin and isopropyl alcohol appear to be the main ingredients of commercial case lube like Dillon and can be formulated at fraction of the cost. 

Works fine,  4oz liquid lanolin 16 oz 91% iso. alcohol,  500 223 cases, no stickers, didn't use any "extra" pressure, no dents in cases.  IIRC ~5 bucks for 20 oz