maintenanceguy

Seeds

I have an acre and a half in the middle of farm country.   My wife and I have gardened but haven't for the last few years.  I'm going to have a big garden this year.  My kids are old enough to be involved and I want them to learn some of the growing knowledge I learned growing up on a farm.

I've become especially interested in non-hybrid seeds.  I believe hybrids seeds grow better food but often they won't pollinate in a second generation.  I'm interested in a garden where I can save seeds for next year.

Online prices for seeds are much higher than I expected.  Maybe the boom in prepper mentality has effected seeds just like it has ammo.

So, my question is, does anybody know of a good online source for inexpensive seeds?

Since I am a certified organic farmer, I get all my seeds pretty much from either High mowing seeds, Fedco, Johnny's Selected Seeds (make sure you choose non treated and organic), Seeds of Change. There's more but those are my goto. Not all hybrids will be poorer seed bearers. It's the GMO seeds that are a concern. A lot of Big Ag seeds are designed to be inert the next generation, so you are dependent on Big Ag.

It would be nice to know the process/art of saving and preparing seeds for the next year's planting cycle..... From the current harvest.....

Check out this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-Techniques-Vegetable-Gardeners/dp/1882424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385729941&sr=8-1&keywords=seed+saving

We always use Seeds of Change. We plant mostly organic and some non-organic. This year the non-organic tomatoes and peppers took off while the organic didn't fare to well. Oh well. Seeds are expensive but sometimes you can find deals online, the next few months is probably a good time to buy.

Since I am a certified organic farmer, I get all my seeds pretty much from either High mowing seeds, Fedco, Johnny's Selected Seeds (make sure you choose non treated and organic), Seeds of Change. There's more but those are my goto. Not all hybrids will be poorer seed bearers. It's the GMO seeds that are a concern. A lot of Big Ag seeds are designed to be inert the next generation, so you are dependent on Big Ag.

It's not just the quantity of seeds produced by hybrids, often the next generation does not have the traits of the parent.  I have tossed rotten pumpkins on the burn pile and had odd looking gourds grow in that spot the next year.  I'm sure the hybrid I originally planted had an odd looking gourd as one parent.   I have always gardened with the goal growing the best stuff and usually that's done with hybrid seeds.  But this year, I'm going to try heirloom varieties instead.  I'm not sure what makes a seed organic but I'm comfortable with treated seeds as long as I get the best yields - and this year I want a second generation that I can plant next year.