Brownie^HP

PSA - Vortex Strikefire and SPARC Red Dots on Sale

I have a SPARC and have shoot using an aimpoint and there is a clear winner between the two. So if you are looking for a high end red dot the SPARC is not it. The SPARC is a descent RDS and that' what I bought for now but I will get the Aimpoint down the road.

depends on the Aimpoint , each model is different.

A lot of the bigger Aimpoints , the "Tubular" ones do not come with mounts and there are several different styles and mfg's and prices.

The Micros come with simple picatinny base mounts but won't work for AR-15 applications, you need a mount that raises it up more.

The PRO comes with the mount specifically designed for it so the PRO could be a self-contained super optic package.

I did not mean to sound like I was saying "nuh-uh nuh-uh yous is wrong!!" or anything like that.

Before the PRO came out, generally the cheapest Aimpoint was the Comp C3 I believe .  It "looks" like one of the real expensive "tube" Aimpoints but comes without a mount.  Price is just under $400.  Then you need a mount, whether it's a cool cantilever mount or straight up-and-down small mount or full height mount.  a decent brand mount takes you close to $100 bucks.  That is no joke and a huge extra expense that you don't think of when you fork over nearly $400 for the optic.  (and I know a LOT Of people have made the same omission in thinking when they bought their new Aimpoints).

When I bought two Aimpoint Micros in Dec. 2010, I thought I was golden because they "come with a Picatinny mount integral to the base" or something like that.  But as I mentioned, no good for ARs.  I was buying the two Aimpoints for my Bushmaster 5.56 an S&W M&P 15-22 and needed to go out and buy new mounts , remove the factory-included mount on the base, install then new mounts, which I found the cheapest I could get was a $70 or so Daniel Defense mount.

As I mentioned, the PRO was designed as a perfect package- Aimpoint, full size, included mount, (with a riser you can use or remove), night vision compatible, 8 year battery life, etc.  and it also became the cheapest Aimpoint (not counting the almost-$400 anyway Comp C3).

Anyway just was pointing out thats all didn't want to sound like a nitpicker.