Heavyopp

1911 Pistolsmith classes

Something caught my eye on 1911 forums and I came across this --          Jim Garthwaite Pistolsmith, Inc. : Classes

Curious if anyone has ever done this --  It's a class where you can build your own gun with personal instruction by Jim himself --  the 2004 pistolsmith of the year ranked by ??

Anyway, for $3000 your supplied a complete gun with oversized parts which you then hand fit  --- class is 5 days - located in PA right off rt 80, where 180 intersects -- about 3 hours from here

Just curious if anyone has ever done this and what your thoughts where...

Frame is supplied by the class --   From what I read it actually starts as a standard springfield GI and everything but the frame, slide, firing pin and guide rod are discarded 

You then fit the frame and slide and all other parts --  with a kart match barrel which you fit too 

Build the gun, then must have it shipped to your FFL for the transfer -- No other way for a legal transfer over state lines -- you definitely don't take it home with you