Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

see through rings vs rail

So I want to start tinkering with my christmas present (10/22 takedown) and I decided to start with the optics/sights. I want the opportunity to mount a scope for longer distance shooting but still have the option of using the iron sights for short to medium distances. So after some research I figured I have two options the see through weaver rail and the see through scope mount rings, as of now I am leaning towards the rings as the rail just looks ugly to me. Does anyone have any insight they would like to share with me? I doubt Im the first on njgf that has been down this road.

I have said it before and I'll say it again to you - a compromise is something that does no one thing well and two things with mediocrity.

See-through rings position the scope too high for good cheek weld. Can't say that I am familiar with a see-through rail, but would imagine the same applies. Anything that raises the optic enough for you to see under it, is a bad idea.

You can get normal height rings with throw-levers so that you can easily remove and reinstall a scope, but I think the better alternative, considering the effective range that your 10-22 will be used for, would be either a non-magnifying red dot, or a low power variable scope.

JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob makes great points here.  See through will not work well with the 10/22 takedown.  Small short stock will not let you get a good check weld or point of aim.  Just finished working on that same carbine. I decide to upgrade the internals after an initial cleaning and bore treatment.  I cannot stand a clanky bolt or lousy trigger pull.  Did the bolt release mod and dressed the bolt along with the inside of the receiver (dremel tool/Flitz), updated the trigger (used a Kidd), replaced the mag release (Kidd),  replaced the bolt buffer (Kidd), replaced the front sights (used Hi-Viz this time).  This made world of difference in the carbine. First time on the range had groups under 1" (includes flyers) with 1 nice ragged hole.   Now for optics other that the Hi-Viz sights, considering a small RDS on throw levers as I want to be as low as possible on that small stock with the ability to take it off.  No decisions yet, just using a Bushnell TRS-25 I have around. In the end I believe will be using the irons more than the RDS out to 50 yards.  Don't see much beyond that with carbine.  Have another 10/22 built for that.  Small short 2-7 power scope sounds like the ticket on this if you really want it.  Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35, Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32, Leupold VX1 2-7X28, I'm sure Redfield and SImmons have a couple in there also.  Avoid BSA, Barska, Tasco, pretty much low end product.