Sign in to follow this  
SW99

M&P 15-22, .22 Conversion, or another AR15 Build

So as usual I am driving myself nuts trying to decide what to do. 

I have already built an AR15 as most of you know and continue to have fun adding new parts to it. I want to start a new build but I do not own a 22 so it would be nice to get one and have something much less expensive to shoot, something my wife could handle, and when my nephew comes of age to be able to teach him. 

So.. the question.. 

Do I get a 15-22 which will still allow me to have fun adding parts and modding it, do I just get a 22 upper for my current AR or do I just build another AR15? 

What would you do?

Thanks!

SW99

Stag Arms makes a .22 conversion kit for AR's that is just a BCG and a mag for around $200. It's really easy, and relatively inexpensive, but from my limited experience with it, it does not seem to be very accurate. If you are looking for more accuracy, the 15-22 is great, and it's a lot of fun. Your wife and nephew will love it. It's my GF's favorite of my collection.

BUY OR better yet build a dedicated .22 upper and start using it right away....Then add a dedicated lower... The $50 polymer Omni stripped lower is a great matchup for a .22 upper.... I purchased the Chiappa M4 dedicated .22 upper last month for like $239... It is NJ legal.... The first range outing went flawless... Then over time you could replace the polymer upper with an aluminum one to improve the quality and some say reliability...

A full-up "tactical .22" (15-22, 522, whatever you choose) will have the proper twist and will hold the bolt open on an empty magazine.

Most (all?) conversions can't do that, the bolt rests on the follower and will close as soon as you remove the spent mag.

BUY OR better yet build a dedicated .22 upper and start using it right away....Then add a dedicated lower... The $50 polymer Omni stripped lower is a great matchup for a .22 upper.... I purchased the Chiappa M4 dedicated .22 upper last month for like $239... It is NJ legal.... The first range outing went flawless... Then over time you could replace the polymer upper with an aluminum one to improve the quality and some say reliability...

I assume this one:

http://store.chiappafirearms.com/m4-22-upper-receiver-10-rnd-w-2-mags.html

A full-up "tactical .22" (15-22, 522, whatever you choose) will have the proper twist and will hold the bolt open on an empty magazine.

Most (all?) conversions can't do that, the bolt rests on the follower and will close as soon as you remove the spent mag.

So getting a proper 22 makes more sense is what your saying? I really like the 15-22 and am really leaning that way. 

If you have a 1:8 twist on your barrel, the 22lr will go all over the place. Accuracy was terrible.

The conversion kit sat around for a while doing nothing. I then built a dedicated 22lr upper using the bolt. I did have feed issues which the folks at Taccom fixed for me. It runs great now and accuracy is really good.

I would go with a cheaper dedicated 22lr build and would not advocate the conversion kits. If you have the space in the safe and the funds, I would go with a dedicated lower also.

I've always purchased from the Bullethole because its 5 min from my house. Anyone know where a 15-22 is in stock for a good price? 

I want the base model so I can add some goodies on my own. 

There was a posting in the Hot Deals a few weeks back. The shop is in PA though but it should give you an idea on price for a NJ compliant base model.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/65552-mp15-22-nj-compliant-369-tanners/

There's also one for sale by JT Custom Guns who is a forum vendor. It's not the base model though and has some added on goodies.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/2128-wts-smith-wesson-mp-15-22-rifle/