Blake

Looking for an FDE Mid length 2 piece free float rail, suggestions?

Hi Guys - as the title says I am looking for an FDE 2 piece free float rail.  I found 2 at Troy's website, but seeing as they are persona non grata right now I am looking for some other options.  Thoughts?  I need the 2 piece so that I can fit it around the FSP without removing everything.  These are the 2 I found at Troy:

https://troyind.com/products/delta-mid-length-fde

https://troyind.com/products/mrf-12cx-fde

Any help is appreciated :)

I would buy the Troy. In fact, I am getting ready to order one soon.

Daniel defense makes FDE tubes/rails but they are more of a burnt bronze and much more expensive than the Troy offerings.

Check Centurion Arms - not sure if they make an FDE version.

There is always Aervoe spray pain, or professionally done Duracoat/Ceracoat options.

ETA: here is a link to another members rifle with a DD "FDE" rail and Magpul FDE furniture so you can see the difference.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/10555-ar-pics-lets-seeum/?p=842639

Edited by High Exposure

I would buy the Troy. In fact, I am getting ready to order one soon.

Daniel defense makes FDE tubes/rails but they are more of a burnt bronze and much more expensive than the Troy offerings.

Check Centurion Arms - not sure if they make an FDE version.

There is always Aervoe spray pain, or professionally done Duracoat/Ceracoat options.

ETA: here is a link to another members rifle with a DD "FDE" rail and Magpul FDE furniture so you can see the difference.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/10555-ar-pics-lets-seeum/?p=842639

Thanks for the input, I was aware of the color of the DD stuff so I had scratched them off the list.  I have a troy drop in rail on the rifle right now and their fde color perfectly matched everything else.  

Which rail are you going to get HE, the Delta or the MRF?

I will also look into the Centurion rails.  

Jack,

If I remember correctly, the DD color is actually the correct pantone for "Flat Dark Earth" as spec'ed by the USG. Same as the upper on the SCAR rifles.

What we actually think of as FDE (magpul's version) is more of a "Coyote" or "Desert Sand".

Blake,

I can't decide which one I want. I think I am going to get a tube type - Alpha or VTAC - to finish a new rifle, and an MRF or Charlie to retrofit an existing carbine. I don't like the delta with the short rail on the bottom.

So I looked a little more into all rails and I think I am eff'd.  What I wanted was a rail with a fsb cutout for a mid length rifle.  The Troy options I posted are for carbine length, not mid length, and it seems like no one makes a mid length rail with fsb cutout and rail in front of the fsb.  

I checked Troy, DD, Samson, Centurion, etc and they have rails that will cover the fsb on the sides but no rail in front.  Please tell me I am wrong by giving me a viable option :)

Im an idiot...linked that in my first post and when I started digging around saw the mrf wouldnt work, forgot about the delta. If I go with a semi slick rail looks like this is my best option.

I know you said you didn't really want to mess with it, but you could grind off the fsb.

I want to keep the fsb, but am contemplating getting a rail without the cutout and making the cutout myself. Saw an edu posted on another forum and it came out pretty good.

Jack,

If I remember correctly, the DD color is actually the correct pantone for "Flat Dark Earth" as spec'ed by the USG. Same as the upper on the SCAR rifles.

What we actually think of as FDE (magpul's version) is more of a "Coyote" or "Desert Sand".

Blake,

I can't decide which one I want. I think I am going to get a tube type - Alpha or VTAC - to finish a new rifle, and an MRF or Charlie to retrofit an existing carbine. I don't like the delta with the short rail on the bottom.

It's funny you say that because i always wondered why FDE didn't resemble anything in relation to being flat dark earth. I've wanted to do a FDE scheme, buts it's just to bright for me.

Purchased the Troy Delta rail when it came in stock at Primary Arms bc it was $60 cheaper than going thru Troy direct.  Ordered it Fri night, arrived today.  Can't beat that considering shipping was $7.  

The rail is solid but is a little too long for my 14.5" upper.  It covers the first gas port on the PWS FS556 brake.  Gona shoot it the way it is first but I am thinking I am going to cut the rail down to the beginning of the brake and then cerakote over where I cut.  Overall am happy with the rail except for the length.  Would be perfect for a 16" upper.  

dv27.jpg

Blake, Mounting a light at 12 is great if you can do it. If your sights and barrel are clear to shoot then you know your light is unobstructed as well. This is a good thing, especially when working around cover where your light can cast weird shadows and backlight your position pretty drastically if you are not careful. The only issue with a light mounted that far out/close to the muzzle is you will get quite a bit of fouling on the lens. It can not be helped.

Secret of the Universe #119: Coat the lens of the light with a little WD-40 (those little WD-40 pens are great for this) before shooting. Keeps carbon from adhering to the glass and makes it easy to clean off with just your thumb. Also cleans the lens pretty well without abrasives scratching the lens up and making it milky. Chapstick or a drop of lube works as well in a pinch.

Blake, Mounting a light at 12 is great if you can do it. If your sights and barrel are clear to shoot then you know your light is unobstructed as well. This is a good thing, especially when working around cover where your light can cast weird shadows and backlight your position pretty drastically if you are not careful. The only issue with a light mounted that far out/close to the muzzle is you will get quite a bit of fouling on the lens. It can not be helped.

Secret of the Universe #119: Coat the lens of the light with a little WD-40 (those little WD-40 pens are great for this) before shooting. Keeps carbon from adhering to the glass and makes it easy to clean off with just your thumb. Also cleans the lens pretty well without abrasives scratching the lens up and making it milky. Chapstick or a drop of lube works as well in a pinch.

Little Rain X or some wax will work too...

Thanks for the input HE & Displaced Texan.  I will use those tricks before I go shoot.  I was hoping that it wouldn't be much of an issue since the brake extends past the light but I guess rifles are different than pistols.  My pistold are also not ported.

The light I have on my XD 4" gets dirty very fast bc the light goes past the barrel.  The light on my fnx tac barely gets dirty bc the barrel extends past the light.  

Thought Id throw out an update. Cut the rail down finally to fit yhe 14.5" barrel and am pretty happy with how it came out. Still need to paint the metal and buy squid grips but other than that the rifles done. Took it out today and even with the crazy wind was very happy with how it performed.

You guys were right about the light, it was fogged over after only 50 rds. Gona rain x it now.

Posted Image

Posted Image