Sign in to follow this  
revenger

change of address or just apply new?

Would it be easier to do a change of address or just apply new,    my card was issued 15 years ago and I have lived at my current address for 10 years.   I was hoping to be out of this state some time ago but it now looks like 5 more years.   Is there any legal requirement to do a change of address for an updated card  or is it ok to apply for a new issue?   is one way any more streamline than the other.

It's the same process. Same forms, same everything (well, you might not have to get fingerprinted again with a change of address).

You already have an SBI number (that is the number on your FPID) - if they found out that one person has two SBI numbers, their collective heads would explode. Just do the change of address.

IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good question. It would seem that it could, but that would probably be too easy.

First, the application for the change of address would have to be made to the nearest geographically (to you) NJSP barracks - something you could probably determine with Google Maps and a list of NJSP barracks.

Second, the SP-066 signature is supposed to be witnessed by the intake officer. I would suppose that they might accept a notarized signature.

Now that the SBI-212A is done on line, the only impediment would be getting the barracks you are applying to, to give up their ORI number.

It's certainly worth a phone call to the NJSP Firearms unit. They might even tell which barracks you should apply to.

As I said, it certainly seems possible completely within the framework of the law, BUT, this is NJ, so don't count on it.

Suck in some of that Arizona sunshine when you're thinking of us poor schmoes back here NJ.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good question. It would seem that it could, but that would probably be too easy.

First, the application for the change of address would have to be made to the nearest geographically (to you) NJSP barracks - something you could probably determine with Google Maps and a list of NJSP barracks.

Second, the SP-066 signature is supposed to be witnessed by the intake officer. I would suppose that they might accept a notarized signature.

Now that the SBI-212A is done on line, the only impediment would be getting the barracks you are applying to, to give up their ORI number.

It's certainly worth a phone call to the NJSP Firearms unit. They might even tell which barracks you should apply to.

As I said, it certainly seems possible completely within the framework of the law, BUT, this is NJ, so don't count on it.

Suck in some of that Arizona sunshine when you're thinking of us poor schmoes back here NJ.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think it's the only way it *could* be done when one moves "out of state," no? Send it directly to the NJSP Firearms Unit, right?

I wonder, then, how the sp-066 might be handled, if it's *required* to be witnessed by the intake LEO...

I'm wondering even more why a mental health check from the county where you "used to" live is even relevant when filing a "change of address" form "out of state?

Definitely change of address.  Your old card is still valid, and will continue to be so forever unless and until a judge issues an order revoking it.  You might not be able to buy a rifle at a dealer if your drivers license address doesn't match the card, but for all other purposes it is valid.  So you are changing your address on the FID you have had for 15 years, not getting a brand new FID.