Kaiser7

Someone school me on Leverguns

I have a Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag, and I absolutely love it. It shoots both .44 Mag and .44 special. Overall I'd .44 mag is probably the best just for versatility sake out of a lever action. For one .44 mag is generally pretty easy to find and relatively cheep to some of the other big lever action cartridges. It also packs a good punch that you can hunt deer with out to 150 yards (or maybe it's 200 yards I am not a hunter) and there is .44 Mag hunting ammo available. If on the other hand you just want to plink you can use .44 Special or what I prefer .44 Mag Cowboy loads (which I have found cheaper) which seems to recoil like a .22 out of my Henry Big Boy. Obviously If you reload a lot these advantages don't come in to play, and then there is not much reason to get a lever action chambered in something more powerful, since you could still load your own "cowboy" loads but also have much more power if you wanted over a .44 Mag.

Given the information here, and the review I read, I think, as of right now, I'm going to lean towards the Mossberg 464, or a Henry I think. I'm not quite looking to buy right now. I'm TRYING to avoid the temptation to buy a new gun right now, as I want to finally spend my money on a SJSC membership so I can actually shoot. (We'll see how that goes. I've been telling myself this for the past few years haha).

But thank all of you, the information is really helpful, because now that I have an idea in my mind, and know a little more about the calibers and stuff, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal. 

Now WHERE to find a good deal on one of those I have to figure out...

Check out the used racks at some of your local shops. You Can usually find used post 64 Winchester 94's for a very good deal. I have seen several last year that were under $300. Marlin 336's for even less.