edwill86

federal brown box issues

I know federal isn't the best ammo out there. The 22lr we have misfires in the 10/22 and jams bad In The sig.

We have never had an issue with the federal american premium.

Last weekend at the range I shot .223 federal in a brown box. The first box shot fine the 2nd box a round bent feeding, another was a failure to feed and got stuck in the receiver the final straw was when inspecting the rest of the rounds the area around the primers where all chewed up and the ammo was almost burnt looking by the head. Like they where reloads. We threw away the rest of the box.

Is federal known for selling reloads as new ammo in their non premium boxes?

Is this what you were shooting?

834C04A5-93CC-4F22-B7AB-B9DF5B41DC33_zps

Ammo QC is not quite at the lowest point I have ever seen it, but it is pretty bad. That said, the Federal XM193 is generally pretty good stuff, but by no means is it perfect.

The "burnt" looking part by the bullet is called annealing and mil spec ammo is supposed to have this.

B8248641-71E2-415C-AD34-01A0FED386D0_zps

The "chewed up" brass around the primer is probably a staked in or sometimes called a "boxed in" primer pocket, again spec'ed so the primers don't pop.

0FBBF0C8-B3AC-489B-9825-086A9175DFD1_zps

Do those pics look like what you had?

What are the specs on the rifle? I might look there before the ammo.

It was that box but .223. Dicks sold it. No the area around the primer look like that but the rim of the bottoms were all beat up. I wish I got pics. The annealing on this box was way darker. We ran a box of olimpic (I think) 5.56 after the issues and it ran that fine.

We have a stag arms ar15 model 2 5.56/.223. I'd agree it was an issue with the rifle if it didn't shoot another brand perfectly right after.

The ro said the rounds where "feeding too fast" buy didn't have an explanation as to why.

Last weekend at the range I shot .223 federal in a brown box. The first box shot fine the 2nd box a round bent feeding, another was a failure to feed and got stuck in the receiver the final straw was when inspecting the rest of the rounds the area around the primers where all chewed up and the ammo was almost burnt looking by the head. Like they where reloads. We threw away the rest of the box.

Is federal known for selling reloads as new ammo in their non premium boxes?

No federal does NOT sell reloaded ammo as new. The "burnt" marks are annealing. It's common on surplus or mil spec ammo. The primers are also crimped in. This crimp is either a ring crimp or staked crimp. There is a newer more aggressive looking stake crimp that is pretty weird looking(examples of all three pictured below). The case getting dinged on loading ins not an issue with ammo, but with your gun feeding it. Brass is brass, and you smash it with the bolt going home and it will distort. As for stuck in the receiver, if you are runing federal xm193 5.56 spec ammo in a tight .223 chamber, yeah it can get a bit stuck and be a PITA to extract. This is not brand specific.

post-1238-0-53308700-1398697097_thumb.jpg

It's a Stag and therefore not built to the TDP.

Stating it is 5.56 rated and actually being 5.56 rated are two entirely different things. Get someone to ream the chamber to 5.56x45 specs and I bet you will be amazed at how much material needs to be removed.

I am not saying that is what caused the problem since you were shooting .223, just saying to be aware.

I have literally shot thousands and thousands of rounds of that ammo.... if there was ONE failure I would be surprised...

reliability levels approaching the level of insane....

It's all I buy and use. Never had a single issue with federal xm193 and .223ae.