Scorpio64

Private sales of long guns.

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of times but I want to confirm.  What exactly do I need to do to sell a long gun in NJ?  I found some info but nothing that seemed concrete.  It's my understanding that all I need to do is print out two copies of a NJ state transfer form and have the eligible buyer fill out the "I'm not a terrorist/criminal/wife beater" portion.  sign the forms, check the FID and NJ DL to confirm residency and collect some cash.

Is this about right?

Yes fill out COE, 1 copy for you one for buyer. If you know the buyer then your good to go.  If you dont know the buyer I would suggest doing the transfer somewhere like A LGS that you deal with.  There is no NICS needed for private long gun transfer. I have made some at the Range that I belong to. Definately not A meet me at so and so parking lot kind of thing.   Make sure FID matches DL exactly.

Good Luck

Yes fill out COE, 1 copy for you one for buyer. If you know the buyer then your good to go.  If you dont know the buyer I would suggest doing the transfer somewhere like A LGS that you deal with.  There is no NICS needed for private long gun transfer. I have made some at the Range that I belong to. Definately not A meet me at so and so parking lot kind of thing.   Make sure FID matches DL exactly.

Good Luck

Here is the COE form you need to fill out, per the above.

NJ COE Form sp-634

IANAL either, but life history tells me paper trails cause problems.  You got what you want, he got what he wants. The state got what it wants (COE). Transaction over.

No, the State (NJ) doesn't get anything. One copy to the buyer one copy to the seller and the State doesn't get a copy. That's the point and the reason for a bill of sale. Example: You sell a long gun that you originally bought through an FFL to another FPID holder in NJ (no record of that to the State). The buyer takes the long gun home, tosses out the COE and at a later date his house is broken into, the long gun stolen and used in a crime in NJ. He doesn't report it. Guess where the firearms trace is going to lead the police to? You, because you have the only extant paperwork (original FFL COE and 4473). It would be helpful to you if you have both the buyer's COE AND a proper bill of sale with his signature.