Teky0101

Bolt Action - 30--06 or .308

Hello Everyone,

I am in the market for a new budget firearm and I have been looking at the Remington 783. However, I simply cannot decide what caliber to purchase I want a super accurate caliber that can reach out to long ranges. Can someone tell me the main differences between the 30-06 and .308 and which one you prefer for long ranges? I found a bargain on the 30-06 rifle for around $100 cheaper than the other calibers but I want to make the right decision. I have also been looking into the .300 win mag but I think the recoil will be to severe for a lightweight 783. I would greatly appreciate the help! Thank you!

To answer your first question, the difference between a 308 and a 30-06 is the length of the cartridge and the amount of powder in the cartridge.  A 308 is a shorten version of the 30-06.  Now on to your next statement that you are looking for something super accurate at long ranges.  What's the target?  Paper? Steel silhouettes? Game (include size of game here)?  You stated your on a budget.  This brings optics into the picture.  How do you intend to see that target, hundreds of yards away? (200, 300, 600 yards of more)?  Do you reload?  The caliber choice will determine the costs of feeding the beast.

Choices are dependent on your budget.  If you don't reload, and cost is a factor, then popular cartridges are the solution, hence 308 and 30-06.  For flatter shooting 270 comes to mind (a necked down 30-06).  There are all kind of variants in the 308 and 30-06 families, too many to mention here.  300 WIn mag is popular for real long shots at medium to large game.  Recoil is up there. 

So, decisions...............

All things considered you can't go wrong with a budget 308.  Good all around, it presents many options covers many of the common shooting areas.  It's street name, Three Oh Great, is there for a reason.

Ruger American, Savage, Remington are all good choices here.  Look at used.  Lots on the market and better built than todays even with a little mileage on them. 

Get one with iron sights and you can figure in glass as time and funds allow.

If you have a specific shooting sport in mind, then more research into what fits is necessary.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

"Super Accurate" and on a budget generally don't go together. Not being a dick, but how skilled are you needs to be considered. Some people think the 200/300 yard line is long distance.

I love both my 308 / 30-06 bolt guns and semi autos. Thinking budget ammo....308 is probably your cheapest route using surplus as plinking rounds. 270 / 6.5 / 7mm / 300WM all get pretty pricey to marry your skills and knowledge the characteristics of your rifle.

Out of the box or slightly used, Savage is tough to beat. Sure Remy has some lower cost rifles, but dollar to dollar I think Savage tends to be a better value. Especially when it comes to triggers.

I would go with 308 Win. Ammo is easy to find and match grade ammo can be found at a reasonable price if you dont reload. I have all the 6mm/6.5mm cartridges in a few different configurations. They are all excellent cartridges but with the exception of 6.5 Creedmoor, there is not much choice in match grade factory ammo available. Also the barrel life in these cartridges is less then the 308 Win. 3000 rounds vs 8000 rounds.

I love 30-06 but if you are just starting 308 is a good idea.  Plenty of inexpensive ammo available, and if you later want to branch out to a Ruger Scout Rifle or Mossberg MVP Patrol, or a M1A, you stay within the same caliber.  Can't go wrong with 308.

Since most that goes into long range accuracy is between the ears and in the bones and muscles of the person holding the rifle, don't discount getting a .22 rifle as well.  Current ammo availability problems aside, nothing replaces .22 for getting lots of shots in, at low enough recoil so you can feel what you did for each shot and develop the right habits.

I have both.  If hunting large game is a factor, then I would go with .30-06.  The ability to load 220 grain bullets in .30-06 is a major plus if hunting moose.  I am in Alaska and the .30-06 is a real favorite of a lot of folks.  If hunting large game is not a factor, then I would recommend a .308.

I love my Tikka T3 30-06 fluted in stainless...best shooting rifle out of the box I ever bought. NOT a budget rifle however. I have since did some mod's and it really is a hunting / tactical rifle that can launch spicy 180g pills almost to a 300WM lite load. The receiver and barrel are the same as the 300WM, just reamed out for the '06, so a little hot ain't no thing.

I also have Savage(s) in 308, Remington 7600 (pump action rifle with detachable 10 round mags with an adjustable pistol grip stock) in 30-06 and others. Again, your actual use determines the rifle.

FWIW -  When I was stationed in Alaska in the mid 80's it was mostly 30-06, then 300WM and a few 338's before all the silly short magnums and other boutique calibers came out. More big game has been taken with a 30-06 then any other cartridge.

Thank you everyone for the great information! According to my research and in conjunction with what I am reading on this forum the 30-06 seems to be a better round for large game but the 308 is more available in match configurations and being an army standard had a lot of availability. I have been shooting rifles for a number of years and own several large calibers such as the 7.5 swiss, 7.62x54 and have shot my brothers 30-06 several times and I like it. At this point I found a 30-06 Remington 783 at Cabelas and they are willing to match Dicks Sporting goods weekly price. They did not have the .308 in stock in this rifle and at the price point its hard to ignore. Remington is also offering a rebate where I will get an additional $20 off. I also saw a very interesting article where they compared the .308 and 30-06 rounds at medium and long ranges and the 30-06 won out for long distance shooting. I also want to hunt large game some time in the future so I think the 30-06 is the way to go. If anyone has any additional information on this caliber comparison I would truly enjoy hearing it. Thank you for your help!

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/308-win-vs-30-06-match-results-may-surprise-you/

aside from the 200+ grain bullets the 308 will do whatever the 06 does. about 100-200 fps slower. animals cant tell the difference. lol.  todays factory ammo is very good. as far as reaching out to 300+ yards you better have good optics or the caliber wont matter. Jack O'Connor killed EVERYTHING in the 50s and 60s with a 270 and a 130 bullet. the ammo he had then compared to today is crap. bottom line its all about bullet placement.

Nick