Scorpio64

AK Style Slant Break for AR-15

I don't think that will work. The regular ak-47 slant brakes are threaded 14 x 1 and the 74 brakes are threaded to screw onto the actual FBS which is like 24 mm. The common thread pitch on an AR is 1/2 inch(smaller than 14mm.)

My AR had the AK-74 -style compensator /muzzle brake on it, but it was a specially designed piece for ARs that was just designed off of the AK-74, not an actual AK-74 rigged onto the barrel.

However, two things, the AK-74 compensator, while great for reducing the muzzle climb during full auto fire (A 5.45 AK-74 on full auto is awesome to shoot) it is absolutely the loudest thing you'll "hear" and it shoots fireballs so it's not very desirable.  

The slant brake is also the most rudimentary of brakes, simply attempting to vent a little gas to offset the natural climb of the muzzle.  On a rudimentary weapon designed for field-expedient use and abuse like the AK, it's just fine and natural, but on an AR, I can't see the attraction... you'd be better off with the standard flash hider for free, IMHO.

To be clear.  I am not asking how to attach a brake engineered for an AK-47 to an AR.

What I am looking for is info on brakes styled after the AK slant brake design, but engineered specifically for the AR.  I am a minimalist.  I will not be attaching a fancy brake/comp to my SPR.  As it stands now I am going with a simple thread protector but looking into other muzzle devices that may offer better crown protection.

Ok then I will not be much help, so I bow out gracefully. 

I will say, I came very close to dropping about $5000 in a complete clone Army SF SPR , Mk 12 Mod 0, with just  about all the trimmings and a few personal upgrades and probably would have had about a $1000 scope (I was most likely going with the Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56mm) .. things happened that influenced me in life and I would up spending most of my money on a .308 bolt-action build.  ANYWAY- I was really into the SPR 3-4 years back, and one thing I remember is, the muzzle brake is almost always the Ops Inc. Muzzle Brake (and collar) which go with the suppressor for the MK-12 mods 0/1... I knew I couldn't have the suppressor but figured it would be accurate, it looks badace, I knew I would be able to deal with getting a suppressor someday when I moved, and again it was "the muzzle brake" for the SPR.

Did you give any thought to this, as if you're going through the trouble to build an SPR You must not be totally against spec'ing it out, no?

I believe that the AK brake is designed to offset the twisting recoil that the rifle exhibits because of the barrel twist. I am not sure what the difference is between the AR and AK, but Google knows.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

My rifle is not an exact MK12 clone, I just call it an SPR since it's what the specs closest resemble.

The AK slant brake is offset to the left or right depending on how the shooter is handed.  The Slant breaks for AR's are not offset.