Sign in to follow this  
berniec

Guns at Multiple Houses

I have two legal handguns and an FID card issued to me at my primary residence in North Jersey.

I also lease another residence year round, but really only use it during the summer, in South Jersey.

What does the law state about me having guns at my second residence?  My fear would be that if there is ever an incident the address on the FID won't be that where the guns are at.  What about if i'm stopped while driving with a firearm between one house and the other?

thoughts/comments?

I have two legal handguns and an FID card issued to me at my primary residence in North Jersey.

I also lease another residence year round, but really only use it during the summer, in South Jersey.

What does the law state about me having guns at my second residence?  My fear would be that if there is ever an incident the address on the FID won't be that where the guns are at.  What about if i'm stopped while driving with a firearm between one house and the other?

thoughts/comments?

ONLY TWO hand guns?  LOL!

I wrote about this as an example in another thread and only heard crickets, so thanks for asking!

During Hurricane Sandy lots of secondary residences on LBI and elsewhere were damaged, flooded, abandoned or washed-away.  Entire gun collections were swept out to sea or buried in gun safes where houses once stood!  Yet NO news stories or social media reports of mass arrests taking place for firearms violations!  Here's what I KNOW to be true:

Several folks with multiple NJ residences abandoned their shore homes (and guns contained therein) and notified local authorities that guns were left in the residences.  Some Police agencies told home owners to take their guns to another dwelling, ANY DWELLING, to secure them!  Some folks stayed with family or friends, some merely drove back to Bergen County (and other affluent communities in NJ).  NOBODY got arrested for having legally purchased/owned firearms in their residences!  By the letter of the law it says "residence", not making any limitations.  Doesn't say "permanent residence, voting residence, registered residence", or even attempt to go down that road!  A residence is an EXEMPT location, so theoretically you could throw 100 hand guns into your car trunk, unloaded, uncased, no trigger locks, zippered pouches, gun rugs, cases, NADA, and stop at every house you own or rental you live at from Bergen to Cape May Counties for the sole purpose of stopping to pee and check the condition of each property.  And all you have to do to carry any of them inside to your living space is to wrap them in brown butcher paper or newspaper and tie them SECURELY with bakery string!

Further, a multi-millionaire sportsman could own several homes in NJ and have firearms at each location, available to him or her so as to enable participation at any area shooting club (also an EXEMPT location) seven days a week.  And since a firearms owner with a NJFID can travel anywhere in NJ with an unloaded long gun (except to a school or military installation or other property where firearms aren't allowed), it's quite normal for a Bergen County doctor to have some firearms stashed at a second residence for the express purpose of visiting shooting clubs near the second residence.  It's also normal for the same doctor (or lottery winner, movie star, etc.) to have a hand gun (or several) at each residence.

So NOBODY will care about your two hand guns being at two separate locations.  Just remember to adhere to the "Directly To and From Rule" while transporting hand guns.  You need to transport them between EXEMPT locations:  One house and another, house to range, range to house, house to FFL or gunsmith, point of purchase to range or home, etc.

NJ gun law is convoluted, but in trying to understand it we must never over-think what the written word actually SAYS.  How many EXEMPT residences do you have?  There is NO limit by law!!!

Dave

Shootist

If you own a primary (year round) residence in one part of the state and a beach house (for example) in another part of the state, you may legally keep guns (long or hand) at both locations simultaneously.  The only catch is whether you make stops in transit when you initially transfer a handgun between properties.  Make sure to fill your gas tank before you pack your bags and don't stop for dinner en route. 

If you own a primary (year round) residence in one part of the state and a beach house (for example) in another part of the state, you may legally keep guns (long or hand) at both locations simultaneously.  The only catch is whether you make stops in transit when you initially transfer a handgun between properties.  Make sure to fill your gas tank before you pack your bags and don't stop for dinner en route. 

Depending upon the circumstances (an unexpected several hour trip thanks to traffic and car accidents) if one were to risk running out of fuel thus becoming disabled in a traffic lane or having a diabetic problem (and needed food), I would consider both of these to be "reasonable deviations".  But then again I've been shooting for 44+ years and am currently a type 2 Diabetic.  Your mileage may vary....

Depending upon the circumstances (an unexpected several hour trip thanks to traffic and car accidents) if one were to risk running out of fuel thus becoming disabled in a traffic lane or having a diabetic problem (and needed food), I would consider both of these to be "reasonable deviations".  But then again I've been shooting for 44+ years and am currently a type 2 Diabetic.  Your mileage may vary....

I dunno about the diabetes, but I can make a real hard argument for no fuel means the car doesn't go, and thus choosing that option contravenes the direct rout language. Towed to wherever by AAA or whomever is not particularly direct or speedy.  

I dunno about the diabetes, but I can make a real hard argument for no fuel means the car doesn't go, and thus choosing that option contravenes the direct rout language. Towed to wherever by AAA or whomever is not particularly direct or speedy.  

EXACTLY!  And hopefully after runnin' out of gas the car won't need to be put up on a lift at Joe Blow's Garage somewhere in Tim-Buck-Two, NJ THE NEXT DAY to change-out a clogged OEM gas filter (some filters reside in the gas tank itself), thereby leaving you to remove your property for safe transport by taking a cab or some other commercial conveyance.

The Diabetes / food thing comes from taking medication to lower blood sugar, and then missing a scheduled meal due to unforeseen or emergency circumstances (such as an accident that closes a road for several hours).  That will cause your blood sugar to "crash", causing you to get tired, sleepy, inattentive or fuzzy enough to drive into a ditch, resulting in the tow to Joe Blow's Garage.........  I always carry Nature Valley granola bars for this specific reason, but they only last for so long!

Take care raz-0!