boo

which towns automatically renew permits at time of issuance?

I remember reading here about a town that automatically renews permits when they're initially issued. Which is it? To renew permits, my PD requires you to submit a letter to the chief stating the reason for renewal. While I have his attention, I figured I'd suggest that he do the same.

I was offered that in Randolph a while a back.  We have a civilian employee that handles permits and she does a great job.  As for renewals, you just go in and she stamps them with a signature stamp while you stand there.  Maybe it's because we are a Republican town :)

Dear Chief,

I would like to renew my Handgun permit because (circle one or more):

- I thought my dog ate it, but my wife hid it in her underwear drawer.

- I could not decide on a Glock, M&P, or FNH. So I asked on the NJGF and now I am more confused.

- I was going to buy gun with a 11 round clip, but heard they were illegal.

- I am still waiting for my tax refund.

- I figured you guys took forever, so I would too.

- I was too lazy/stupid to look for a gun to buy.

Thanks,

boo

Lol, many of those would probably work, and they're actually not picky. For example, being short on money is an "acceptable" reason. That's why I figure if they'll extend for anything, maybe they'd just as soon do it automatically. I figure it would help keep down the size of his inbox.

I just have to bring my not yet expired (but within a few days of expiring) permits to the PD and the clerk take it, brings it back to the firearms person and they write the new date on it and give it back to me while I wait.  They will not, however, do it automatically up front.  Most towns don't

Hopewell (Mercer County): Under the former chief, I called the detective in-charge during "firearms hours," was told to come in ASAP, drove there, handed him my permit, waited 6 minutes for him to come back and was out the door right after that.

Hopewell (Mercer County): Under the former chief, I called the detective in-charge during "firearms hours," was told to come in ASAP, drove there, handed him my permit, waited 6 minutes for him to come back and was out the door right after that.

Same under current chief - or maybe they just like me.