Howard

Deal on Dells NEW Memorial Day offer: 40%-50%

NEW Memorial Day offer: 40%-50%

UPDATED

Deal on Dells (USA only, sorry)

http://www.dellrefurbished.com is the sales arm of Dell's business computer leasing operation. They take back end-of-lease computers, usually 2-3 years old, and refurbish them for sale. This includes a fresh load of the operating system (mostly Win 7 Pro). They put a 100-day warranty on them and sell them on their website. Right now, they have an overstock which they hope to clear by offering a discount.

The deal a Memorial Day special of 40-50% off asking price on the website when you enter code memorial2015 (or try memorial50 or memorial40). Likely expiration date is 5/26.

The discount code applies to desktops, laptops and monitors. 

I just picked up a killer notebook for my wife, an M4600 with 8gb ram, 320gb HD and i7 quad core 2.3 ghz processor and a 1920x1080 IPS Monitor with an Nvidia Quadro 1000M graphics card for $425 to my door.

The refurbished stuff comes with a 100 day warranty, but for not that much money you can up it to a year if you think you need it.  The one I got has a 15.6" super HD 1920x1080 IPS Monitor with an Nvidia Quadro 1000M graphics card which lets you plug in two other monitors.  The IPS monitor is great as it has perfect color representation so you can process photos on it.  The only issues I would have are the hard disk and the battery.  If the HD were to go I would replace it with an SSD anyway as they are cheap these days.  They test the battery and certify it will be good for a minimum of 1.5 hours of continuous usage - this is a workhorse power eating machine that only claimed to get 3 hours when new.  For $67 I also bought from AmazonPrime a brand new 12 cell new Dell battery for the machine so I'll be in good shape.  You can buy cheap new machines new for less than this, but for these specs this is an amazing deal.

MicroCenter has some great stuff, and the one in Paterson only charges 3.5% sales tax as they are in some sort of special zone.  I found the Dell one I got to be better than anything they currently have, but have bought lots of stuff from them and recommend them highly!

So the Dell site has a laptop for $299 reduced from $349. Is the 40% off included in that deal? Or is it 40% off of $299?

"Dell Latitude E5420 2GB RAM 250GB HDD

Your Price:     $349.00
$299.00

[ $50.00 Instant Savings] Limited time offer"

By the way, that 3.5% tax rate sounds in Paterson like a great deal just by itself!

Our closest MicroCenter is up in Sharonville Ohio about 30 miles from here.

So the Dell site has a laptop for $299 reduced from $349. Is the 40% off included in that deal? Or is it 40% off of $299?

"Dell Latitude E5420 2GB RAM 250GB HDD

Your Price:     $349.00

$299.00

[ $50.00 Instant Savings] Limited time offer"

By the way, that 3.5% tax rate sounds in Paterson like a great deal just by itself!

Our closest MicroCenter is up in Sharonville Ohio about 30 miles from here.

The 40% or 50% is in addition to whatever they show, you apply it as you check out, just watch to make sure it takes.  Sweet deals!

Happily using my new-to-me Dell OptiPlex 380.  Came looking nearly new, with a new keyboard and a new mouse.

Wonder when they're going to do a deal again.....

Computers don't really always crap out. Power Supplies can be replaced as well as HDs. Mostly in no time at all. I have an Area-51 desktop and I'm going to be running out to get a replaced slave drive which just started failing. Awhile ago my C drive started failing. At the time, a Corsair 465 gig drive was about 400 bux. Prices on SSDs have dropped about 50% since I Bought mine. That was pretty much the only size you can get for that price. I told myself as time goes by, I'd slowly get rid of all magnetic media while prices drop. Still, bigger storage SSD drives are still not cheap compared to conventional HDs.

IF you lose a main drive, regardless of backups, (many people still don't back up. Carbonite is your friend!)... You will waste a lot of time reinstalling software especially if you decide to do a fresh OS install. It literally takes me 10-12 hours a day for about 8 days to do a reinstall. Why? When you have hefty programs like the Adobe Suites, that one program takes hours to install.

All in all, Microcenter usually has everything you need. If you cannot afford an SSD right away, conventional drive is fine. One thing. Terabyte drives have dropped drastically. While the store a ton of data, they are still susceptible to eventual failure. I strongly suggest you partition them. This way, if a partition fails, you don't lose the whole drive. Unless of course some bearings crap out or something.

Finally, computers suck!!!! I hate them! I worked, repaired, built them for decades. They fail at the worse times, but we need the effing things. Right now my whole second floor is ripped apart. We are painting, putting carpet down, rewiring, you name it.

We are literally taking turns sleeping on couches and floors. What's my effing puter do today? Starts losing one of my drives. Like I need this crap right now. All my financial and graphic packages are there. I need this effing thing to pay bills and stay in contact with people. There is only one other effing electronic device that pisses me off. A low battery on a smoke detector which always seems to happen 3am in the morning. Nothing more fun balancing on a chair to put a battery in half naked. I know, change them once a year, yadda yadda. But it never seems to happen. Lol

Ok, I'll shut up now. Sorry for the rant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk