Sign in to follow this  
magnawing

Another reason I love Texas...

Took my son to the local gun show today (5 minutes from the house) and one vendor had a "Prize Wheel" if you signed up for their email list. I signed up and spun. My prize was a free CHL (Concealed Handgun License) class for me and 1 guest. Not a bad prize considering that the class usually runs $70-$100 per person. We'll be taking the class next Sunday and should have our CHLs in hand by Labor Day.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I'll still have to pay for the license. $25 for me (veteran) and $140 for my wife. My renewals are $25 every five years and hers will be $75...and, beginning in January, we can open carry...not that I want to.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I had a project last winter with a PD down in southern TX.  Introduced myself to the Chief there and as soon as he heard my voice he asked me where I was from.  When I replied New Jersey he smirked and said, "sorry to hear that, welcome to America".  Fast forward a few days and on two different occasions I had to go into their cell block to address an issue.  Each time, reflexively the office who was my guide reminded me I needed to secure my weapon in the locker before entering.  I had to keep reminding him we aren't allowed to carry and each time he chuckled and shook his head.  

We took the class yesterday and both of us passed with flying colors (red for me and more of a maroon for the wife...I use poly coated bullets for reloading).  Both got perfect scores on the written test and she shot a 246 of 250 while I shot a 242 due to a few head shots from 15 yards after I knew I had already shot a high enough score from 3 and 7 yards to pass.  I figured that I'd already passed, why not have some fun.  My 45 shoots 15 yard head shots quite nicely.

We took the class yesterday and both of us passed with flying colors (red for me and more of a maroon for the wife...I use poly coated bullets for reloading).  Both got perfect scores on the written test and she shot a 246 of 250 while I shot a 242 due to a few head shots from 15 yards after I knew I had already shot a high enough score from 3 and 7 yards to pass.  I figured that I'd already passed, why not have some fun.  My 45 shoots 15 yard head shots quite nicely.

Congrats! 

I'm taking my class Wednesday. I'm mostly excited about finding a good bbq place

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Best of luck. Remember though, in Texas, BBQ is more "beef" oriented than "pork."  You're talking brisket and sausage, primarily. Maybe beef ribs. Not that that's bad... It's very good, in fact.   :)

Texas is absolutely awesome. Just get their carry laws fixed and maybe we will have Heaven on Earth.

What needs to be fixed other than we should have Constitutional Carry?  We'll have open carry and Campus Carry starting in January...but you'll still need a LTC for open carry.

What needs to be fixed other than we should have Constitutional Carry?  We'll have open carry and Campus Carry starting in January...but you'll still need a LTC for open carry.

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

 A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption

 On premises of a correctional facility

 On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,

 On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

 On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.

 racetrack; secured area of an airport

 In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court.

 *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

 *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

 Public or private premises conspicuously posted with a Sign that meets these Criteria.

 Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?

“YES”

30.06(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035. In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06©(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following Language: 30.06 Sign.

F all that. It's against the law to carry almost anywhere except walking down the street and you guys are checking databases looking for stores without signs so you don't go to jail.

That part. Get rid of all that carry ban and threat of jail nonsense.

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

 A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption

 On premises of a correctional facility

 On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,

 On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

 On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.

 racetrack; secured area of an airport

 In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court.

 *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

 *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

 Public or private premises conspicuously posted with a Sign that meets these Criteria.

 Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?

“YES”

30.06(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035. In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06©(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following Language: 30.06 Sign.

F all that. It's against the law to carry almost anywhere except walking down the street and you guys are checking databases looking for stores without signs so you don't go to jail.

That part. Get rid of all that carry ban and threat of jail nonsense.

The 30.06 sign must comply explicitly with the regulations in order for it to carry the weight of the law...i.e. MUST be 1" letters on a contrasting background, MUST be in English and Spanish, MUST be posted in a conspicuous location.  I was at the Dr's office and noticed that their sign was small black lettering at the bottom of the glass next to the door and was only in English...I let them know that it wasn't in compliance and the desk clerk said it didn't matter.  There was a DPS officer (State Trooper) in there who heard the conversation and he stepped up and told her that it "Most certainly does matter.  With the current signage, anyone could carry a concealed handgun into their office and be within the law."  I love it when LE backs up a citizen who knows the law...he told me that he didn't even see the sign and thought it was odd that they didn't have one. 

They also just changed the law so that the penalty for not honoring the signs is now a misdemeanor. 

Way too many restricted places in that list. The fact that several of these places would be loaded with people makes it even worse.

Completely backwards.

And the penalty for inadvertently carrying in a restricted place should be something akin to a parking ticket. If in fact there needs to be anything more than being told you can't carry there and be asked to leave.

The ignorance runs deep in politicians.

Serious question, will an average restaurant/bar (think Applebee's or similar) approach 51% of sales through alcohol? Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

this came up in my CHL class yesterday.  The instructor said that a restaurant with a bar will not usually fall into the 51% category but a bar that serves food probably will.  Any place that falls into the 51% category is required to conspicuously post a specific sign at all entrances.  It looks like this...

51Sign.png  

this came up in my CHL class yesterday. The instructor said that a restaurant with a bar will not usually fall into the 51% category but a bar that serves food probably will. Any place that falls into the 51% category is required to conspicuously post a specific sign at all entrances. It looks like this...

Posted Image

Excelente. Gracias senor.

And the penalty for inadvertently carrying in a restricted place should be something akin to a parking ticket. If in fact there needs to be anything more than being told you can't carry there and be asked to leave.

They just changed the law to exactly that...if you're asked to leave and don't, it's a citable offense.  Otherwise, leaving after receiving verbal notice is not an offense at all.

Serious question, will an average restaurant/bar (think Applebee's or similar) approach 51% of sales through alcohol?

AppleBees/ Fridays, probably less than 51% rev from alcohol sales. I think once you get into sports bars, clubs, then you're over their threshold. Will see if I can find something.

But it seems like all they need to do is post a sign saying no firearms and its illegal to carry there. Are those sorts of signs common in TX or PA?

They just changed the law to exactly that...if you're asked to leave and don't, it's a citable offense. Otherwise, leaving after receiving verbal notice is not an offense at all.

Good news. And thanks for that sign info.

"Weapon"

Interesting choice of words in that sign. Knife?

The 30.06 sign must comply explicitly with the regulations in order for it to carry the weight of the law...i.e. MUST be 1" letters on a contrasting background, MUST be in English and Spanish, MUST be posted in a conspicuous location.  I was at the Dr's office and noticed that their sign was small black lettering at the bottom of the glass next to the door and was only in English...I let them know that it wasn't in compliance and the desk clerk said it didn't matter.  There was a DPS officer (State Trooper) in there who heard the conversation and he stepped up and told her that it "Most certainly does matter.  With the current signage, anyone could carry a concealed handgun into their office and be within the law."  I love it when LE backs up a citizen who knows the law...he told me that he didn't even see the sign and thought it was odd that they didn't have one. 

They also just changed the law so that the penalty for not honoring the signs is now a misdemeanor. 

OK, so you are good with not being allowed to carry anywhere, and you are also good with looking for No Guns signs to avoid jail, and further yet carrying a tape measure so you can measure the No Guns sign and estimate your chances of going to jail or not.

My bad, sounds like a real hoot! I would keep everything just the way it is.

Did you actually just say any of that? I would have said, "Yeah, it sucks balls, but this aint Jersey and we will get rid of it or at least make it reasonable."

And that misdemeanor will end your rights to ever own a firearm in the US.

AppleBees/ Fridays, probably less than 51% rev from alcohol sales. I think once you get into sports bars, clubs, then you're over their threshold. Will see if I can find something.

But it seems like all they need to do is post a sign saying no firearms and its illegal to carry there. Are those sorts of signs common in TX or PA?

I don't plan on hitting up bees while I'm there but I'm sure most bbq places will have a bar in it. Just want to keep every thing kosher

Way too many restricted places in that list. The fact that several of these places would be loaded with people makes it even worse.

Completely backwards.

The ignorance runs deep in politicians.

And how many places can you carry in NJ? Since moving to Texas, I carry everyday. I let all my employees carry. 

As Magnawing said, the only sign that counts is the 30.06 sign. Any other sign has no meaning. I can and have carried in a hospital as long as there is no 30.06 sign. 51% sign is usually a local bar or taproom. I carry in any restaurant I want unless the 30.06 is posted.

Mipa, I don't know where you got your info, but it is not correct.

Only difference between PA and Texas is no license open carry and an honest AG.

And how many places can you carry in NJ? Since moving to Texas, I carry everyday. I let all my employees carry. 

As Magnawing said, the only sign that counts is the 30.06 sign. Any other sign has no meaning. I can and have carried in a hospital as long as there is no 30.06 sign. 51% sign is usually a local bar or taproom. I carry in any restaurant I want unless the 30.06 is posted.

Mipa, I don't know where you got your info, but it is not correct.

None of course. The situation there is infinitely better than here.

I agree.

What sort of sucks are those restrictions you have to deal with. They just don't make sense given the logic behind carrying in the first place.

Its like putting 1/2 inch steel shutters on all your windows in your home.... Then leaving the front door wide open.

I definitely disagree here. Signs in PA do not carry the force of law, and you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. If you're someone who is responsible enough to refrain from becoming intoxicated while carrying, I should think you have a right to protect yourself.

A lot of people-- on both sides of the gun control fence-- seem to regard Texas as having the most loose gun laws in the nation. It just isn't true, I say; PA has much more permissive gun laws than Texas, and the 30-06 sign nonsense is a perfect example of that.

Texas sure beats many states in the NE area, but I think its gun laws are far from perfect.

If the weapon is "concealed", nobody should know you have it unless it's needed...then, they'll be thankful you have it regardless of the presence of any signage.

Concealed means concealed, sure... but bend over to pick something up, or jog to cross the street before the light changes (thus exposing the "tell" most people have when carrying concealed), and suddenly you're outed. You can't count on a thin piece of fabric to keep you out of trouble.

And there are a number of stories of people carrying de-escalating an otherwise dicey situation, only to get caught up with legal troubles or losing their jobs, so I'm not sure everyone shares this sentiment. I'd rather have as much of the law on my side as possible in these situations.

In an ideal world (or at least, an ideal Texas), the signage wouldn't exist because too many people are carrying, following the law, and refusing to patronize businesses that choose to display it.