msokad

Safe delivery

Well today was the day and I'm happy to say the safe has a nice new home in my basement.

One of my friends built 2 small ramps to get the safe from the driveway to the patio. Once we got the safe on the industrial strength hand truck with the extra set of wheels for support, 5 of us pushed it up the ramps. After we got it on the patio we rolled it over to the bilco doors and had a sheet of plywood with a few 2x4s under it for some support and to raise it a little so we could get it over the lip of the door base. My other friend built a little ramp with 2x6s for the stairs going to the basement.

We hammered a pipe into the ground as an anchor for the come along. Once we got the safe over the lip, we slowly lowered the safe to the basement. We were able to slide the hand truck and safe across the floor and into the final room. The hardest part at the end was moving the safe upright after we slid it off the hand truck.

Thank God for great friends. No one got hurt and nothing was damaged.

Glad it went well. Don't forget to bolt it to the floor. I hope you don't plan on moving anytime soon.

It was bolted down yesterday. We have no plans to move and if/when we do, friends already said they will help move everything except the safe. I have to be honest, I don't blame them. The next owners will inherent a nice empty safe.

I'm getting a safe delivered on Monday (can get it postponed until Wednesday) unfortunately the trucking company will only deliver it curbside. I asked the dispatcher if they are willing to bring into garage. The driveway is level and paved and he said that will not do that.

Does anyone have idea on the best way to get from the street to the garage? The safe is 935 lbs and the garage is roughly about 60-75 feet from the curb.

The final location is the basement, but I have friends that are going to assist me with that in a few weeks.

I got the same story from RL freight.

When the driver showed up I offered him a little money to help move it into my garage and did so, no issues. Same experience with Estes lines. UPS freight is a no-go...

It was bolted down yesterday. We have no plans to move and if/when we do, friends already said they will help move everything except the safe. I have to be honest, I don't blame them. The next owners will inherent a nice empty safe.

Going up is a lot more difficult than going down. Depending on the cost of the safe it might be best to leave it. I've seen services that move safes, but I'm not sure of the cost.

I'm sure we could just do the reverse a and modify the ramp and come along system.

As a backup, I requested a quote from 2 places about moving the safe into the basement. One never got back to me and the other never responded after I sent the specifics and pictures. I'd would rather have someone tell me they would like to decline the job instead of just not responding back.

When the house gets listed (if we decide to move again) , I'll factor the cost of the safe into the price ☺. I'll would probably list it to a pro 2A group first and use the safe as a strong selling point.

for future reference... harbor freight 6000# winch and hitch mounting plate can be had for a small number of bills, and will prove to be very useful over the years.  Add a cheap marine battery from walmart and you've got yourself a portable/adaptable system.