Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Recommendation on whole house water softener

If you can install it yourself you will save a lot of money. I did my own, saved at least a $1000.

I bought my whole house softener from here: http://apluswater.org/Fleck%205600%20water%20softeners.html

The valve is the most important part. I have and recommend the Fleck 5600 valve. I have the 48,000 grain system for my house which is 4 bdrm, 3.5 baths. Talk to the guy at the place I listed. He was extremely helpful at helping me size my system.

Avoid those off the shelf water softners at Home Depot, they are way too small to do the job efficiently.

Oh yeah, don't hook up your outdoor spigots to have softened water. Your system will be regenerating too much, and soft water kills grass/plants.

This is what it looks like installed:

-

-

4lilc9.jpg

Most important thing is to get your water tested. After over a decade and 3 different water softner systems attempting to fight "hard water issues", I learned that a traditional salt based softner does very little to remove high iron content. The "professionals" simply said I had "hard" water. After much reading and researching, I discovered that my bigger problem was the iron.

I now have two sediment filters, a Terminator style iron removal system, and a traditional salt based softner. I will be adding in one final filter.

No one system is a silver bullet for all.

Got the system delivered. And got a problem :-). 

Water inlet into the house is on one side (along with heater, a/c) of the house and all the drainage plumbing is on other side.  

Options I have

1. Install the system close to water inlet (and water heater), but

* Send the regeneration drainage into small a/c condensation pump and pump out to lawn (concerned about salt build up in the soil after a while)

* Or run about 50' of tube over the basement wall from the install location to the otherside of the house for proper drainage. Not sure if this violates any code. 

* Or drain into a sump sump close by. Potential damage to the sump system and still builds salt in soil (as sump drains to street level)

2. Install the system close to drainage, that puts the system about 50' away from water inlet. Potential for pressure loss ?

Appreciate thoughts. 

Run the 50' of tube for proper drainage. Do not drain salt water into your sump pump, it will corrode your pump into failuring in a short amount of time. Do not drain salt water into condensate pump, it will do the same to it. Do not drain salt water into lawn, it will kill your grass and any sorrunding vegetation.