Grendel327

Question about refrences

Hi all.

Quick question- for the personal refrences that we need to provide; do they need to be NJ residence, or can anyone vouch for us?

thanks

Not necessary to be NJ residents. Not by State regs, at least. Maybe some CLEOs might indicate otherwise.    One of mine was my Florida instructor!  

Yea no prob using references outside of NJ for me neither.

A word of advice. When putting down your place of employment do make it a point to also include the name of the person that you want the letter sent to. I was wondering why my P2Ps were taking forever. Long story short they sent the letter to my place of employment and either the company got it but never replied or they didn't know who it was for. Anyways lucky for me I spoke to the local PD and had them fax the paperwork straight to my manager. 

Does every township send a letter to the applicant's employer?

No...doing so is in violation of the State law about "no extra forms"...I don't know the exact law but someone will be along shortly to quote it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does every township send a letter to the applicant's employer?

You do know these forms say "Employer" NOT "primary employer"?  So if you don't run your own business, go across the street and get your neighbor to pay you $25 to mow their lawn or plow their driveway - NOW you can put down that you are self employed (Legally) and put your own name and address down as employer.  Problem solved.

can you have 2 references in the same Household? i looked all over the forms and it didn't say i couldn't?

The law does not explicitly address this, but so much stuff is up to discretion that you are probably better off not doing it.  The entire reference thing is a joke anyway.  Who gives a name of someone that will not give them a good reference.  But it is even worse than that.  Here is a copy of one that I just filled out this week.

Notice Question two - how would you in many cases know the answer?

Notice Question Three - again in most cases you would never know, and isn't that their job to research via databases like NICS.

Notice Question four - again you would likely not know.

Notice Question Five - Who cares what your opinion is?  They don't know you and why should your opinion have any bearing unless they run a background check on you.

The whole thing is STUPID!

23336602740_a816895d2d_b_d.jpg

Send me your reference forms, even if I don't know you. They mean nothing. There is no criminal charge if the person you gave a reference for, uses the gun illegally. What a waste of time and paper.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

The law does not explicitly address this, but so much stuff is up to discretion that you are probably better off not doing it. The entire reference thing is a joke anyway. Who gives a name of someone that will not give them a good reference. But it is even worse than that. Here is a copy of one that I just filled out this week.

Notice Question two - how would you in many cases know the answer?

Notice Question Three - again in most cases you would never know, and isn't that their job to research via databases like NICS.

Notice Question four - again you would likely not know.

Notice Question Five - Who cares what your opinion is? They don't know you and why should your opinion have any bearing unless they run a background check on you.

The whole thing is STUPID!

Good points. Probably easier for me to separate the references.

Before I was able to use my girlfriend and she could me. We got married over a year ago but the PD still allowed us to be references for each other.

Now that I moved I have to find new references for both of us. Got plenty of friends but we all don't share the same views on gun ownership.

Send me your reference forms, even if I don't know you. They mean nothing. There is no criminal charge if the person you gave a reference for, uses the gun illegally. What a waste of time and paper.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Agreed, this part of the process of references, as well as local LEO review is just another hurtle.  Eliminate this whole portion, real waste of time.

Now that I moved I have to find new references for both of us. Got plenty of friends but we all don't share the same views on gun ownership.

That is another issue.  The form should not even mention guns on it.  It should just be a letter from the police saying they are running a background check and ask you the questions except the one about owning a gun.

Good points. Probably easier for me to separate the references.

Before I was able to use my girlfriend and she could me. We got married over a year ago but the PD still allowed us to be references for each other.

Then they aren't worthy of being your friend ;)