Sign in to follow this  
2AJoe

Out Of State Mental Health Check - Advice Needed

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I used the search feature here prior to posting the following:

Last weeks was week 10 of my saga obtaining my FID Card/3 Permits. I spoke to the Sgt. regarding having completed my fingerprints on 2/11/16 and would like a status. He explained to me that he has yet to receive anything from Trenton. He also mentioned that he is also waiting to hear from Fl on my mental health check.

So, yesterday, I decided to call Trenton and get some answers. The young lady was extremely helpful and provided me with the dates the prints were put in and release. I went on 2/11 and they release it on 2/12. She explained to me that once it has been completed; they send a letter with their findings to the barrack where I applied.

Yesterday, I tried several times to speak with the Sgt. at the barracks, but he was unavailable. I did receive a call from him this morning and was advised that he has the fingerprint results and is now waiting on Fl. to respond to the mental health check request. He also explained that he received my fingerprint results the day after we spoke last week. I am a little suspect on that one; reason being, why would he not call me about it upon receiving them the day after we just spoke.

Now my concern is this: he is telling me this can take weeks to months (claims he has waited 8 months) before hearing back from them. Any advice? Should I contact someone in Florida about this? 

This is why people purchase guns illegally! I do not condone it, but why go through this bureaucratic mess!

Ask him for info to contact his counterpart in fl.

Or, do your own search and find the contact in fl?

I have been doing some research on it. But, was checking to see if anyone has had simialr issues and if they have any advice from their experience. 

Thank you all. I will submit a formal complaint, as OfcrFek suggested. 

Joe, this state varies locally with the permit process.

Your best bet imho is to contact Fl. Get stuff in paper/ email , for dates of mental background ck query. Etc

Your dealing with the NJSP Hope Barracks.  NOTORIOUSLY SLOW is the word on the street.

Go on the governor's website and submit a formal complaint.

I also recently had to go through an NJSP barracks. They were an absolute joke, unfortunately. I had called at one point for an update, as you did, and got a similar line about how "they were just getting back applications sent to Trenton in May of 2015 (this was November)." After submitting the complaint and receiving my permits, I noticed the issuance date was WEEKS before I had even had that conversation with the Sgt("issued"11/20, update requested 12/3, complaint filed 12/8, received permits 12/11). There's a very real possibility that my completed change of address/p2p's were sitting on his desk, no more than 2 feet from him as he told me it would be another 3-4 months. Un-f*cking acceptable.

Is it possible that FL is really the hold up? Possibly. But from my experience, things magically get done when you start bitching to one's superior about them not doing their jobs.

(Edited to put in correct dates)

I also recently had to go through an NJSP barracks. They were an absolute joke, unfortunately. I had called at one point for an update, as you did, and got a similar line about how "they were just getting back applications sent to Trenton in May of 2015 (this was November)." After submitting the complaint and receiving my permits, I noticed the issuance date was WEEKS before I had even had that conversation with the Sgt("issued"11/20, update requested 12/3, complaint filed 12/7, received permits 12/10). There's a very real possibility that my completed change of address/p2p's were sitting on his desk, no more than 2 feet from him as he told me it would be another 3-4 months. Un-f*cking acceptable.

Is it possible that FL is really the hold up? Possibly. But from my experience, things magically get done when you start bitching to one's superior about them not doing their jobs.

I filed a complaint earlier today. I hope to have the same luck you did and receive a quick reply and solution. One question on the handgun purchase permits. The permits had which date on them? I only ask becuase of that nonsensical rule of only 1 handgun per 30 days rule. 

The permits (and my updated FID) had an "issued" date of 11/20, but I didn't get a call to come get them until 12/10 (picked them up the next day on the 11th). 20 days they were "ready" and just sitting on someone's desk before I got a call. So being that they expire in 90 days w/o requesting an extension, they would have expired yesterday.

The permits (and my updated FID) had an "issued" date of 11/20, but I didn't get a call to come get them until 12/10 (picked them up the next day on the 11th). 20 days they were "ready" and just sitting on someone's desk before I got a call. So being that they expire in 90 days w/o requesting an extension, they would have expired yesterday.

Ok, I was just wondering if they would try some BS and say 90 days from the original issued date. Thanks again for your replies and inputs. 

Ok, I was just wondering if they would try some BS and say 90 days from the original issued date. Thanks again for your replies and inputs. 

No, it IS like that. it's 90 days from the date written in the "issued" block on the p2p's... Mine was written in 11/20, but I didn't actually get the p2p's for almost another 3 weeks after that.

No, it IS like that. it's 90 days from the date written in the "issued" block on the p2p's... Mine was written in 11/20, but I didn't actually get the p2p's for almost another 3 weeks after that.

Sorry, now I understand. That is BS. Especially, that this was through no fault of yours.