Hugger

PATCO and transporting to PA

NJ does not allow you to possess a handgun traveling to work without a carry license (unless you own the business).

FOPA does not cover you in your state of origin or destination.

PA does not allow you to transport (different than Jersey) a handgun to your job using any sort of "conveyance," such as a train or car, without PA LTCF. (unless you own the business).

I am not a lawyer. But I believe you are screwed in two states with no federal protection. Unless you are a cop or have NJ and PA carry permits.

You could take the train directly to the range and theoretically be legal in both states. And then walk to your job on foot in PA. And then walk back to the range on foot at the end of the day and then take your firearm back to Jersey.

PA LTCF solves this, if you can swing it. A carry permit from ANY of the 50 states covers you on the PA side for conveyance carry, but you cannot conceal on foot without a reciprocal permit.

If stopped and searched in the People's Republic, you may need to be directly going to or coming from the range.  Only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Don't forget your securely tied package.

I should clarify that I do have an Ohio an PA CCW.

Out of curiosity, if you are a NJ resident, how did you get a PA CCW?

PA only issues to residents of other states if they have a CCW from their home state.

PA only issues to residents of other states if they have a CCW from their home state.

I'm gonna guess, non permanent resident in NJ?

Most likely Ohio is his/her port of call

He just moved to Jersey from Ohio. No idea what he was smoking.

His PA LTCF is valid until expired or revoked. If his Sheriff learned of his new address it might be revoked. But it is still valid as of the moment.

Sheriff notifies you of revocation by mail. Hope his mail forwarding lasts longer than his LTCF.

He just moved to Jersey from Ohio. No idea what he was smoking.

His PA LTCF is valid until expired or revoked. If his Sheriff learned of his new address it might be revoked. But it is still valid as of the moment.

Sheriff notifies you of revocation by mail. Hope his mail forwarding lasts longer than his LTCF.

Home is where the heart is, address is where you get your mail......

Plenty of people are transient for work

Home is where the heart is, address is where you get your mail......

Plenty of people are transient for work

Well, your mind can be on the Bahamas when a fat naked woman on bathsalts and covered in her own shit wrestles you while her two kids try to beat you with a mailbox and a toilet seat. But your ass is about to realize you are actually still in Jersey. And somehow you're probably going to jail for this.

I would have to go with not legal in the slightest without a NJ CCW.

The biggest problem would be that NJ and federal firearm transportation laws require that the firearm is not directly accessible.

Could not find any rules for PATCO, but Amtrak requires a firearm to be in checked luggage.

Stories like this ( http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/2_men_arrested_on_nj_transit_b.html ) show you how messed up Jersey is.