Purple Patrick

GWAC CAV 15 MKII

So I'm picking one of these up for the build I'm doing. No one else makes a polymer lower like this and they seem to be pretty damn solid. I'm not entirely sure why these aren't more popular, normal polymer lowers seem to be and this takes away 2 major flaws they have. I love the fact I don't need to buy an extra stock or worry about pinning it. A local shop became a distributor for me so I'll let you guys know when I get it and what my impressions are.

http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii-ar15-polymer-stripped-lower-receiver-black-ar-15/

2b15f5712858ef6f3098e717287e9e46.jpg

Torture test where they shoot the receiver 4 times https://www.full30.com/video/41324b93161c3953ea131b0d23ebecd0

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to 10 years ago. Cavalry Arms produced these in about 10 colors until they were raided by ATF and shut down. This company must have bought their machinery.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Welcome to 10 years ago. Cavalry Arms produced these in about 10 colors until they were raided by ATF and shut down. This company must have bought their machinery.

That's exactly what happen. They've been making these for a couple years with all the old tools and molds. I didn't bring it up because I didn't think it was relevant.

No one talks about these and they seem really cool. Did something else happen with them that I can't find online?

It was a fad. New Frontier Armory came along and picked up that niche. When you can get a complete plastic lower assembly for the same price, well ...

Picked it up last night. It's very light compared to a normal lower with stock. The finish is slightly rough since the black shows every nick but there is minimal flashing. Sadly I only have the mag release installed since work is busy. Will update later post-5228-145926809877_thumb.jpg

I'm confused as to why you don't think these are more popular. What advantage would that have over a cheaper complete lower from PSA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine.html

When you talk about their completely built lowers for $230 you aren't that far off from building something like a spikes lower with a quality lower parts kit.

I'm confused as to why you don't think these are more popular. What advantage would that have over a cheaper complete lower from PSA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine.html

When you talk about their completely built lowers for $230 you aren't that far off from building something like a spikes lower with a quality lower parts kit.

I picked up the lower for $130 and I ended up getting a complete parts kit so I could have some extras for my other rifle for $70. So $200 with spare parts sounds good to me and I don't need to buy a stock or pay to have an adjustable one pinned? How is that not an advantage? It's also at least a full pound lighter(I still need to weigh both), another advantage.

I picked up the lower for $130 and I ended up getting a complete parts kit so I could have some extras for my other rifle for $70. So $200 with spare parts sounds good to me and I don't need to buy a stock or pay to have an adjustable one pinned? How is that not an advantage? It's also at least a full pound lighter(I still need to weigh both), another advantage.

You can pin a stock yourself or buy a fixed stock.

Also I'm not completely sold on the idea of a polymer receiver for a gun that gets shot a lot. For a 22 upper, it's great but not sure about 223.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Obviously you and I can do that but not everyone is as comfortable and fixed stocks limit lop without modification(this does to but that wasn't the point I'm making)

Honestly I'm not worried about 223 breaking this. There's dozens of high round count cavs out there

$200 is still more than the palmetto lower which has a real receiver and possibility of future changes. The lighter weight is the only advantage of this lower (if that's a requirement) and its trade off is a unmodifyable less sturdy material

What is "fake" about this reciever? Also it's highly modifiable there's a company that specializes in stippling, shortening the stock and adding attachments. Watch the torture test and come back saying it's weak. Yes metal is stronger but plastic has come a loooonngg way... have you bought a handgun in the last 20 years?

What is "fake" about this reciever? Also it's highly modifiable there's a company that specializes in stippling, shortening the stock and adding attachments. Watch the torture test and come back saying it's weak. Yes metal is stronger but plastic has come a loooonngg way... have you bought a handgun in the last 20 years?

That last sentence is misleading. Even polymer framed handguns have metal in integral areas.

I'm not trying to further the polymer vs metal debate. I have an nfa lower but for any gun that gets used a lot, I prefer metal.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

People said the same thing about aluminum and plastic guns being inferior and unproven in 1968 when compared to the time tested steel and walnut, yet here we are.

it's not the plastic vs aluminum that's inferior.  it's the design.  I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this was but i assume it was a solution because the original polymer AR receivers (that were just the receiver) weren't sturdy enough.  it's really overpriced for what it is when you compare the fit and finish to even the palmetto state armory stuff.  

what if you don't like that angle grip?

what if you need to attach a sling to the receiver plate?  oh, there isn't a receiver plate.  

what if you shoot with gloves?  most ARs either have a larger integrated trigger guard or you can add one aftermarket if its a standard "mil spec" lower

id really like to see long term to see if the trigger pins would elongate

there isn't really anything wrong with this.  i mean it'll probably function, and its not like anyone is taking these to war.  The SCAR lower is polymer and i don't see complaints about that.  The problem is that this design has a larger list of negatives compared to the only positive being lighter weight.   

really i wouldn't have even commented on the thread, because i generally don't care what other people buy and hope everyone is happy in their purchases.  I was just replying to the original comment asking why these weren't more popular.  

Most of those points you made are personal preference which I can tell this isn't for you.

Grip angle: get a hogue sleeve or leave it alone (personal preference)

Sling mount: it's there so again personal preference but they do make a qd attachment which I will add and it allows me to put it anywhere on the stock no just the front or back of the stock like most are

Trigger guard: personal preference and again can be modified

Price isn't an issue here... some people pay hundreds of dollars to shave ounces off of their gun.... this cost me what? $20 extra

The buffer has a proprietary pin that they sent with it but I not running a buffer retainer (manufacturer recommended)

I'd highly recommend reading their faq and watching the video on this you might be surprised

Most of those points you made are personal preference which I can tell this isn't for you.

Grip angle: get a hogue sleeve or leave it alone (personal preference)

Sling mount: it's there so again personal preference but they do make a qd attachment which I will add and it allows me to put it anywhere on the stock no just the front or back of the stock like most are

Trigger guard: personal preference and again can be modified

Price isn't an issue here... some people pay hundreds of dollars to shave ounces off of their gun.... this cost me what? $20 extra

The buffer has a proprietary pin that they sent with it but I not running a buffer retainer (manufacturer recommended)

I'd highly recommend reading their faq and watching the video on this you might be surprised

Is that the point though? This gives less opportunity to customize to personal preference. You give up those opportunities of customization which limits the sales and marketability of the item

My concern would be the high stress points where steel pins are going to be applying stress in point locations to the polymer.  I would like to see a steel or brass bushing molded into the poly in a few spots to spread out the stress.

They may be fine as-is but I'd hate to find out in 10 years that a pin no longer fits because the poly is chipping or deforming after a few thousand rounds.

As I said, they may be fine and I really like the look.  But, I'll stay away until they have a few years exposure to the real world first.

My concern would be the high stress points where steel pins are going to be applying stress in point locations to the polymer. I would like to see a steel or brass bushing molded into the poly in a few spots to spread out the stress.

They may be fine as-is but I'd hate to find out in 10 years that a pin no longer fits because the poly is chipping or deforming after a few thousand rounds.

As I said, they may be fine and I really like the look. But, I'll stay away until they have a few years exposure to the real world first.

These have been around since the 90s

I have one of the original Cav-Arms lowers. It's been through many classes and shot thousands and thousands of rounds. No issues or cracking yet. I have not been gentle with this gun.

Did you modify your lower in anyway ?