Sign in to follow this  
JC_68Westy

460 Rowland

Yes I do. I have the 1911 conversion and I'm looking at converting a S&W 625 to .460 as well. It's similar ballistics to a .44 mag, not quite as potent, in a rimless semi auto. The cases are slightly longer, don't remember exact length than a .45 ACP. This is only done to prevent chambering a .460 in a .45 ACP barrel due to increased pressures. While Clark makes ammo it's really a handload round if it's meant to be shot substantiallly.

I enjoy it, it's very potent and it's amazingly accurate.

I considered building a long slide in .460 Rowland for my G20 frame but ultimately decided against it.  Even with a 24lb recoil spring, based on what I've read, you want a compensator of some sort to help handle the round and increase longevity of the host firearm.  It's a particularly attractive round to me as I also already load .45 Super which is sort of a halfway between .45 ACP and .460 Rowland but the addition of a compensator, for whatever reason, turns me off to the idea.

I'm sorry, but the logic in this just escapes me. Let's take a really fine revolver, that works well in all respects, and do something to it that the designing engineers never intended. If you want a more powerful cartridge, buy a gun that is chambered for it. I know, I know, thousands of people have done this conversion with no ill effects. It only takes one, and if that one is you, you are SOL. Do you know how thin the wall thickness is of a 625 cylinder, at the bolt notch? Go buy a 454 Casul or a 460 S&W (there's a reason that cylinder only has 5 chambers - and no, I'm not comparing a 460 Rowland to a .460 Magnum).

Rant off.

Adios,

Pizza Bob