Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

How do things differ if you rent the property you live in rather than own it?

Does much of the laws behind possession, being able to carry or keep a firearm loaded within the property, and anything change in the event someone came in for armed robbery and you actually had to use a firearm?

My FID card and permits to purchase are all under the address of the home me and my wife rent. Just curious of any major differences I may not be aware of since we don't technically own the home we live in.

Thanks for the info, and yes good to know. It is a 2 family. Me and my wife have the 2nd floor, and another couple have the first floor, landlord does not live there. We have a common area on the main floor which is our access to mailboxes and also to door to basement, basement being common as well. So guns stay on 2nd floor, got it.

NJ 2C:39-6. Exemptions.

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, 

• Like 1

NJ 2C:39-6. Exemptions.

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm,

I fully expect Weinberg to attempt to change that so no firearms can be loaded even in your home.

I believe the key term there is "Residence". There is probably some definition of residence somewhere. Like your name on a lease, then it would be your residence as I understand it.

Rent or own, I don't believe it matters. But it should be a documented rental. Not slipping your buddy some cash while he lets you sleep on the couch or in a spare room. Even having your handgun there in that situation is illegal. Never mind carrying it loaded.

So is going to a hotel a reasonable deviation or do you have to first go to a range nearby a hotel and then back to the hotel (assuming you are a member of a NJSP registered club)?

As Nappen says, everything is illegal in NJ unless you are given a specific exemption. All of the exemptions are affirmative defenses, meaning you end up spending lots of money in court proving your innocence.

On the 240th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, NJ and similarly minded states (like CA) are an embarrassment.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but im new to this whole industry. Whatis the deal with being registered with a njsp association and what does that allow you to do vs. Not being registered? Is NRA really the only org that qualifies?

Does much of the laws behind possession, being able to carry or keep a firearm loaded within the property, and anything change in the event someone came in for armed robbery and you actually had to use a firearm?

My FID card and permits to purchase are all under the address of the home me and my wife rent. Just curious of any major differences I may not be aware of since we don't technically own the home we live in.

Land owned or "possessed"

Screenshot_20160704-095546_zps5zmgdyas.p

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but im new to this whole industry. Whatis the deal with being registered with a njsp association and what does that allow you to do vs. Not being registered? Is NRA really the only org that qualifies?

There is a special exemption in the NJ statutes that gives you some additional travel options:

2C:39-6. Exemptions
 f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
 (1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section

So then if your NOT a registered member of such club, then you don't have the OK to transport to/from the range?

I believe you can be a guest of the club. You would be signed in on a ledger as a record of being there. At least you should male sure thats done so there is a record of your presence at the range.

I don't know where in the law it says this...being a guest... but i am certain as I can be you are operating within an exemption.

So let me get this straight then.. For someone like me who just has their FID and a couple of guns, if I drive and transport to RTSP range to shoot for the day and go home, is that technically not allowed since I am not a member of a njsp organization/club that reports members names annually?

Or this exemption for when going to somewhere that is not an actual established range?

So let me get this straight then.. For someone like me who just has their FID and a couple of guns, if I drive and transport to RTSP range to shoot for the day and go home, is that technically not allowed since I am not a member of a njsp organization/club that reports members names annually?

Or this exemption for when going to somewhere that is not an actual established range?

There must be an exemption for ranges open to the public in addition to the exemption that covers private clubs.

There is an exemption so you can always go from your home to/from a range but the trip has to be only that. If you are a member of a registered club then you go to other ranges (meaning you don't have to directly go home).

2C:39-6. Exemptions

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;